Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tired of my damn 4x4 yota only haveing 2 wheel drive. What is the easiest/cheapest way to get posi-traction for my stock rear and front axles. No i'm not gonna weld the spider gears together. However I was thinking of a spool for the rear however I'm not a big fan of it. It will be a street driven truck that will see occasional mud and hill climbing.It is a 95 reg cab with 4cyl and 5 speed if that helps.

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
If you want to use it on the street, that rules out a spool. Detroit truetrac is a good limited slip.

Really I don't think it's going to be particularly cheap any way you go.

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
look into an aussie lunchbox style drop in locker, its not quite as friendly on the street as a limited slip but it will lock when you need it and ratchet when you dont. they are running about $250 or there abouts. i would think an aussie in the rear would really help you out alot, if you seem my video of the 84 rootin' you will see an open front with a rear locker, most of the time i was in 2wd unless i got stuck. you can also look into powertrax or a lock rite, brand lunchbox locker too , i prefer the aussie from what ive read. the drop in lockers are nice because you can use you current diff carrier without having to reset your ring and pinion, you simply pull the spider gear pin and the spider gears and drop it in. it will act like a soppl when you need traction and then it will still allow the wheel to differentiate. now on the road they will make noises but its part of the deal and isnt going to hurt you. if you want a smoother limited slip you better try to find a tru trac but you will need to reset your ring and pinion which isnt a job most people will be able to do properly. if your going to regear you might as well do the detroit soft locker , what ive got, its pretty friendly on the road and grabs like a mugger... price wise id go with a lunchbox, you could always put it back in if you regeared also, pretty much plug and play. just my 2 cents.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts