Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
official e-thug
78 Bronco & 92 Camry
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any cheap, easy ways to get some extra performance out of these cars? I have a 1992 Camry XLE V6 w/auto. The tranny seems to be the weakest point imo. It pulls hard off the line and troughout the rpm range but dies off strongly in 2nd gear. Is there any way to correct this? Possibly a shift kit of some sort that is relatively inexpensive? Or maybe a reprograming of the computer system (dont know much about how EFI,ECU,EMS works)?

In order to correct this I've been manually shifting my tranny on occasion, will this f*** it up?

Thanks for the help!

·
Radio, this is Unit 91...
1993 Camry LE AT
848 Posts
Are you racing people? For everyday driving, there shouldn't be much of a need to shift manually.

·
'95 Camry V6 XLE
948 Posts
Look through the performance modification section of this sticky in the FAQ

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t220549.html

And, do some searching in the forum. This question has been asked a thousand times. There are a few easy/minor mods detailed in the FAQ. Other than that, you'll find it stated over and over that there are no cheap/easy performance upgrades for the Camry. If you want to go fast in a Camry, bring cash :)

·
I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,728 Posts
these are some cheap/free mods discovered by toysrme, an older TN member, they especially work on the 3vz fe (92-93 V6). just click the links at the bottom of the first thread to get to the rest of them. im only offering this cuz its a bitch to find through searches. search modified Y-pipe too. thats the single best performance upgrade for the money.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53223

·
I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,728 Posts
nitrous isnt cheap. toysrme's cheap/free mods are the only ones that hold true and more so on the 3vz then the 1mz. they really do add a little power for little or no money.

we should have a sticky of things dedicated that work and things that DONT work :lol:

·
Touge Star
2000 Toyota Camry LE
2,691 Posts
Weight reduction (ie. take out back seats, spare tire, etc.). That should be a free mod if you have the tools. Shifting with an auto doesn't make you any faster than just keeping it in drive

·
PICKLE GANGSTER
3,191 Posts
nitrous isnt cheap. toysrme's cheap/free mods are the only ones that hold true and more so on the 3vz then the 1mz. they really do add a little power for little or no money.

we should have a sticky of things dedicated that work and things that DONT work :lol:
Lets. Things that dont work:
Mufflers with no other exhaust work
larger and heavier wheels with lower profile tires
most CAI's (sorry, its true)
spark plugs
ignition wires

more stuff to be added in the stickie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts