Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wuts up everybody im new so excuse me if i sound a lil stupid with certain things..i got a 92' turbo thats really clean that i bought with 71k miles and just finished rebuilding the motor this weekend, nothing big just changed all the seals, gaskets, and main hoses along with water pump, timing belt, and spark plugs with cap and rotor. i got a little anxious and being new to this whole turbo thing i disconnected the hose that goes from my turbo to my wastegate and the vacum line that goes to my pressure sensor...it sure did give me the power and speed tha the guy said it would...for about 30 min before my head gasket blew. so now its back in the shop and im puttin a STOCK headgasket due to financial and time issues. so i wanted to know if anyone knows about this little trick and if puttin an aftermarket blow off valve will prevent this from happening again or if i should just not mess with it and get a less expensive manual boost controler. plz let me know asap cause it'll be easier to make mods now that its still at that shop.

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo
19,831 Posts
An after market BOV will not prevent that from happening again. By disabling the wastegate, you overwork the turbo. Anything past 15 psi is headed toward detonation. I recommend a reliable boost gauge and a good electronic boost controller. You will also need some type of FCD or disable the fuel cut for boost past 12 psi.
BTW, engine looks good !

·
Young At Heart
1993 Mr2
463 Posts
yip

[email protected] is correct.... the blowoff valve does nothing but make a kewl noise that pisses the old folks off, and makes unknowing passerbyes jump. And make u lose some rpm through shifting. But I love em'. Elecrronic boost controllers make it a lil' bit easier to adjust a preset multiple setting on the controller from the inside of the car. But a good manual boost controller will cost you waaaay less money, and do the trick. My car came with the 600.00 ++
Apexi Avcr, which has alot of crap I will never use, and looks pretty. I would much prefer to have a manual boost controller to one setting. However, it would be nice to save on the gas around town!!!

·
Audi Technician
91 MR2
774 Posts
if you got a stock setup...?

want to know a cheap fix... leave it the way it is... the way toyota designed it w/ everything connected and i promise you nothing will happen thats not supposed to...

the only performance thing you can do w/o changing parts is advancing your timing... and at full advance you might benifit 10 hp... maybe...

power comes from changing parts... and to keep them from blowing up requires tuning...

·
I love Cin
91 Turbo MR2
2,312 Posts
Dicsonnecting the line to the wasstgate will give you nearly unlimited boost ... if all you did was blow a headgasket, consider yourself lucky. You could have easily cracked a piston.

The stock headgaskets are fine - they hold up to a lot.

I'd suggest not playing with boost again until:
*you get a boost gauge
*you get a boost controller

If the car is stock, I'm curious as to why you would not have hit fuel cut at 12 psi.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cause i disconnected the hose that reads vacum in the intake manifold that goes to my pressure sensor....so ya like you said, unlimited boost and i was REAL lucky i didnt blow anything else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts