Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
BigDaddyMike
05 Toyota Camry STIK
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do u guys think bout this intake thats on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-03-04-05-06-TOYOTA-CAMRY-4CYL-AIR-INTAKE-K-N-FILTER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQitemZ8032248261QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

it only costs 100$. i kno u get what u pay for but i head that it does not matter over the brand for intakes. so i want to kno what are the negative aspects if i buy this one or it would be a smart decision. i have a I4 05 camry on stick. and also i want to kno if installing a intake on manual transmission give better results than installing it on automatic.

·
Camry Under Construction
668 Posts
as you said it really doesn't matter what type of brand it is and a k&n filter is pretty good so yea you could go w/ that setup...i'm not sure if they work better on manuals though

·
Camry Under Construction
668 Posts
why not buy an injen for 50 more bucks to be safe

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,655 Posts
I rather stick with the OEM version. I would never buy a knock-off version for my car.

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,741 Posts
that things aluminium.....

cough.

·
The Cool Guy
Toyota Camry 02
2,564 Posts
aren't all aftermarket systems made out of aluminum ?

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,741 Posts
aluminium crumples and will rust from the inside out. get one in somthing like 304 stainless.

·
The Cool Guy
Toyota Camry 02
2,564 Posts
ohhh.......steel

·
BigDaddyMike
05 Toyota Camry STIK
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
streight from the injen website

IS Intake Systems
The IS Series is a traditional, underhood intake system that is placed in the stock location of the factory air-box system. Each system is built from 6061, T-6 aluminum alloy to ensure the lightest design possible. Every IS system is certified or pending by the California Air Resource Board and backed by Injen Technology’s limited lifetime warranty.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
^Yup. Almost all intakes are made of aluminum. :D

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,741 Posts
mines 304 stainless =)

·
2001 Camry LE
93 Posts
intake pipes are pipes, it's the filter that does it's job, a better filter = good

now, getting something like an injen one, mainly for those who live in areas where it requires carb legal numbers or something

^^^
That was what i was told by a few guys

·
The Cool Guy
Toyota Camry 02
2,564 Posts
i've never even have to take a smog test so i'm in the clear. metal conducts heat. won't make much of a difference.

as for mileage......i think it should get better, seeing as how people on TN say fuel runs rich in Camry's. So the extra air should lean it out some and get better.

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,741 Posts
Super Kaioken said:
i've never even have to take a smog test so i'm in the clear. metal conducts heat. won't make much of a difference.

as for mileage......i think it should get better, seeing as how people on TN say fuel runs rich in Camry's. So the extra air should lean it out some and get better.
but youre forgetting that any extra air sucked in by the engine is metered so it doesnt make a difference.

main reason why CAI and SRI dont do much. you really need RAI like motorcycles to make a difference because we dont have turbos, we need to assist the air intake. motorcycles with RAI have 2 power figures, one done on the engine dyno and one done on the dyno in a venturi tunnel to simulate the incoming air. RAI is ALWAYS, ALWAYS better by a very good margin.

doesnt matter with a turbo or supercharger as they force air into the intake - just give em something open and cold.

·
The Cool Guy
Toyota Camry 02
2,564 Posts
Ram-air? hmmm. is the vacuum of an intake that weak? ram air does sound good. so the object is to get in as much air in one......."cylinder stroke" or something as possible?

·
Registered
2005 Camry SE
454 Posts
terrastrife said:
aluminium crumples and will rust from the inside out. get one in somthing like 304 stainless.
What??

Most aftermarket intakes are aluminum. Most aftermarket intake manifolds are aluminum. Many OEM and aftermarket cylinder heads are aluminum. Some engine blocks are aluminum. Aftermarket radiators. Intercoolers, brake components, suspension components (high corrosion resistance and high strength required), ect ect.

Aluminum is well established as an automotive material.

And while it can corrode, it does not rust away. That is kind of the point. As it corrodes, the corrosion actually protects aluminum from "rusting" more. PLUS, most aluminum alloys are designed to minimize galvanic corrosion (ahem like T6).

As for crumpling. I defy you to crumple an aluminum pipe. We aren't talking about a soda can, we are talking about a formed piece of 6061-T6 aluminum. Good luck.

To make a long story short... no.

------------------

As for the original question. My only doubt is to the quality of fabrication. It make look the same, but is the manufacturing the same quality? Are the welds quality? Is the material actually the same? Will it be similarly durable or will it crack and fall apart. I dunno... I think I rather have the proven product rather than the knock off.

The fact that they include a quality filter is encouraging and for the price you almost can't go wrong.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts