Toyota Nation Forum banner

ebay mufflers?

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  epborden 
#1 ·
Has anyone evr bought, or had any experience with any of the stainless mufflers that various people sell on ebay?
Ill prolly be in need of a new muffler, maybe b4 the winter, and I'm curious about these.
What I don't want is a fart can, like many many civics on the GTA roads (yall know what I mean)

So are these fart cans or what? Do they sound decent? Or Ricey?

I dont want my exhaust to be loud, a bit louder, fine, but not so loud i make babies cry :eek:

anyway, like these............

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7918872254&category=33636

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7918476867&category=33636

and the like........

:dunno:

See less See more
#2 ·
Never heard of those brands. If you want something that sounds decent you should probably stick to mainstream brands. If you want a deep sound from your 4-cylinder there are only a few that can help you. The 3D Racing (I know, not the hottest brand) DTM-style muffler will give you a pretty deep sound, along with some of the 5-Zigen mufflers. You may consider getting a whole exhuast (cat-back) with a small but effective resonator.

#3 ·
Sadly not much is going to give you a nice sound in a 4cyl.

But there is no real difference between eBau ones and main streem brand. They are all basically a resonator. The flow of a straight pipe with some added vibrations for sound.

The larger you go, the less of a ricey sound you will have. Kinda the sad truth. You have to look more ricey, to sound less ricey :(

#4 ·
SmokingTiresV6 said:

The larger you go, the less of a ricey sound you will have. Kinda the sad truth. You have to look more ricey, to sound less ricey :(

Thing Is, I'd like to stick with a near stock sound, maybe a little deeper, What if I were to go with a stock replacement from another car that would require a larger muffler????

#6 ·
thats why i was asking about the ones on ebay, cause i know nothing about them.

I guess i should by now, if you have to ask if its shit, guess what? its shit. :lol:

thnx guys

#7 ·
i'm on the same boat as you. I'm in need of an exhast soon enough. I want something more on the quiet side but something that you can notice slightly. if the civic ass cannons are a 10 on a scale and the stock ones are a 1. i'm looking for a 2-3 on the scale. something nice. Maybe some of the magnaflow stuff.

#8 ·
my friend has the hks and it sound nice.......he has it setup some heard no sure ....2.5 or 3 inch pipe to the hsk muffller and 3 3inch pipe cromed........looks nice and sound ever bettersure if my buddys car sound ricy but it sound mean and loud more for track not everyday driving

#9 ·
Dont go with flowmasters on a 4cyl.

i had one for about 6 months, bugged the hell outta me.

they are really loud inside and outside the car, and the sound like crap.

i had a series 40 which isnt "designed" for a 4cly but the 60 series i think is, but the sound isnt any better, and its not avaiable with the right inlet for a camry.

#10 ·
I've got a Hooker Aerochamber on my car. It's loud. Really, really loud. But that said, it doesn't sound too bad. I'm probably going to toss a cherry bomb as a resonator before it to tone it down a little.

But if you want a nice sound without too much noise, I'd grab a resonator, and an OEM ITR muffler.

#12 ·
The first pic is a fart can, isn't it. Those look ricey and they have ricey sounds in my opinion.

My friend has a mazda speed muffler which is oval shaped. It's nice. Its a quiet deep noise which imho sounds very good. Its stock on the Mazda Speed Proteges so it is very good. I am not sure those though, being im not too much of a fan of fart cans and that stuff. But i do think someday i will get one which is steel tipped because the stock ones look nasty. :thumbdown

#15 ·
maggotdecay said:
Why not get a stock like aftermarket muffler instead of going for a fart can looking muffler. Like a nice flowmaster and then for looks, add a nice chrome tip. It'll add a deeper sound, the tip will look nice, it will flow a tad better.
A man after my own heart :loove:

Flowmaster is the way to go. Get an Orignal 40 or a Delta 40. They will both weld on fine, and look nice with some stainless tips. Either that or get some Flowmaster Vette mufflers. Those sound good on any car :)

#16 · (Edited)
Yeah man, I bought a muffler like one of those from eBay.

Absolutely no problems, welded on fine, working on the car since like January. Sounds good too ! :)

Also wanted to add, I have a resonator (oem) as well. Silencer/No silencer sounds the same either way. No real big sound, so they are right about a 4 cylinder.

So basically I have the can look, straight through. No ricey sounds.. bleh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.