Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So OBX has a set of new shorty v6 headers & a y-pipe on sale now for the Camry platform v6. Buyer beware, they will require some extent of modification regardless of what you try to bolt them on. They're being sold as:
OBX SS Header 93-98 ES300 92-97 Camry 3.0L V6

The problem is that they will not work directly with anything you mate them too.
  • They use the 1994-1996 1mz-fe exhaust manifold flanges. So they bolt to a 1mz-fe.
  • The EGR bung will not mate to a 3vz-fe, or a 1mz-fe. EGR will need to be deleted, and the bung plugged.
  • The o2 sensor bugs are 3vz-fe o2 sensor bungs. They are not 1mz-fe screw-in bungs.
  • The Federal emessions seems to mate to the stock cat, with no provisions for a post-cat o2 sensor.
  • The CA emessions seems to mate to the stock cat-back, with no provisions for a post-cat o2 sensor.
They may, or may not fit a vehicle / engine. Someone will have to be a guinea pig as that is TBD. OBX has a reputation of botching fitment. Their Altima, Maxima, and Accord shorty headers / y-pipe combinations did not fit early on. The quality is lower & they have been known to crack from time to time.

So it's hit & miss. Like the rest of the Chinese headers. Obviously, all of this is offset by the fact that they're selling them at less than $350usd currently.

Just thought I'd let people know since we've been discussing them on ClubLexus.

·
Old fogey
1,429 Posts
That is the worst U bend I have ever seen... if you can even call it that. At least it looks shiny.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
DarkMastyr said:
That is the worst U bend I have ever seen... if you can even call it that. At least it looks shiny.

shall we call it a V bend then? :lol:

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doing angle cuts (cheater bends) is fine, but keep it under 7.5*. That... is not kept under 7.5* lol i digress.

It has been confirmed they will not fit a 1999 vvt-i 1mz-fe. That rules out any 1997+ 1mz-fe's.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
^ Can;t someone just make a good quality one already?!?!?!?

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well there's JP performance, and brad bedell makes some shorty 1mz-fe headers. We had a big discussion on who's done headers / y-pipes on clublexus. It's missing probably 1/3 of the guys on TN that have custom modified theirs in some way or another, but that's the hot list that I mostly remember offhand.

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
Good heads up!

That's why I'm really cautious when it comes to buying parts off ebay, most sellers are very accurate when it comes to the description of the item.

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
luck is only needed for them not to crack, or hit anything. (please use a torque wrench... Poor installation is another reason manifolds fail)

its not uncommon to have to modify something like headers to get them to work, so... No biggie on the o2 sensor bung change. Just have some screw in sensors welded on & block off your egr.

·
Registered
Toyota Camry
1,820 Posts
Nice man be sure to let us know how they are!!! I'm interested and if you think they are worth it I'm gunna snatch a set.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
^ lol...let us know....

·
Registered
Toyota Camry
1,820 Posts
Yeah man, make sure you let us know because I have the cash but I wanna make sure they fit right. I have a guy that wants to fab up a y-pipe for me, but no headers. So, I think I'm going to just do it and buy these (hopefully). I don't like the design of the y-pipe really though. The rear bank header is collected and sent backwards towards the front of the car, which is fighting against the exhaust coming from the front bank. Not only that but those bends are pretty half-assed. I dunno there is only one way to find out haha so thanks for being the lab rat.

:lol: :thumbup:

·
Nostalgia Member
6,609 Posts
the welds look nice, at least...

and bigbird, its my bday next month - gimme some of that "throw around money" :lol:

but seriously, good luck ... i wanna see it/hear it/watch it when ur done

1 - 20 of 55 Posts