Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, this is another one of those newbie questions. alrite, I already know that the wiring for the 9005 and 9006 sockets both support 65W bulbs. I was surfing on ebay and saw some xenon bulb sellers putting camry on the titles. they do have the same socket, but on the packaging, u can see that they need 85W current draws to get 130W of output. i have no clue what the difference would make but i don't think power can be amplified by that much. but wouldn't that mean that if i put them in my car, they will burn out my wire and fuse entirely because they are not under 65W? then how dare they sell them like that.

·
Grenaded piston
6,583 Posts
archangel571 said:
wouldn't that mean that if i put them in my car, they will burn out my wire and fuse entirely because they are not under 65W?
Yes, theres a possibility that your wiring harness will melt with high wattage bulbs.

If you must use them, upgrade the wiring harness. The upgraded harness has bigger gauge wires and relays.

And theres no such thing as a "xenon" halogen bulb. The only true xenon bulb is for hid (high intensity discharge).

·
Registered
28 Posts
^^^
He's right..
But if you're just looking for something bright..
Go for the silverstars..
by sylvania

but i think a compay "eurodezigns" makes good bulbs as well, but its a mixture of xenon and krypton.. give it a shot.. i might get them for my high beams

·
Sold out for a Max
1,266 Posts
I paid like $8 for some ebay xenons. They are 65w. I love em. DO NOT GO WITH MORE THAN 65W IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. Plus those 85w bulbs blow out quickly. I went through 3 wiring harnesses before figuring out that it can not handle it. Go with 9005 65w bulbs(whatever color). Search the forum for 9006 to 9005 conversion. Gives you a good amount of extra light.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
all right. I did dump two 9005 philips bluevision into the low beam, the light looked a lot brighter than the stock but still rather insufficient to see the road clearly. think my lense angle adjustment was off a bit but after realigning them they seem to project further but the average illumination is still low. I even polished the headlight covers for that. Guess I will give it a shot to those eurodezign bulbs, saw from ebay for about 15 bucks shipped for a pack of 2 6000K ones. As for high beams, I am gonna go for none other than the venerable silverstars. I will post the result soon as I get them. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
346 Posts
anyone have pics of the eurodezigns bulbs in use? want to see if they are bright at night, brighter than silverstars. also want to see if anyone has PIAA xtreme bulbs in use too or your comments on those

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yay, just installed 9005 silverstars for both hi and lo beams, can't wait till it's dark.... n then can't wait till the xenon/krypton 9006s get here so i can see how they really are. kinda intrigued by the blue light thing.

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Don't buy them. If you want to be bright just go spend $300 on an HID kit and $250 on housings and rig them in your Camry, or transplant the '93 ES 300 halogen projectors and modify the cut-off to be lower and sharper.

Otherwise jsut buy a set of 9005 silverstars, mod the base and fit them in the housing. (Best low cost option!)

That'll get you + 25% light from a good condition stock phillips 9006 bulb. If you want a bigger gain, try and find the European spec Silverstars, as they have absilutely NO coating on the glass and are another step up in brightness. (Best option, but ahrd to find!)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here's what I got on my car:

Sylvania Silverstar 9006 for my low beams..
Sylvania Cool Blue 9005 for my high beams..

The Silverstar is worth it.. definitely brightens up and its ridiculously bright.. make sure you adjust the angles of your headlamps to get its full potential..

The Cool Blue however I'm very disappointed..
Its white.. not even a hint of blue..
The silverstar even has more color to it than cool blue and silverstars are suppose to be arctic white.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
WTH, was driving with the silverstars on at night. It felt somewat brighter than the philips blue visions 9005 i had on for low beam, maybe the road was quite sufficiently illuminated. Also, it felt as if the light is brighter coming out of the right lense. I tried to adjust the left light by facing the car right infront of the garbage bin (well. there aren't that many walls in my college parking lot). I think i might have had f-ed up the adjustment screw by trying to unscrew it mistaking it for a screw tightening the lense itself the first time i was playing around with the headlights. The height of the spot doesn't seem to be changing as i turn the screw clockwise or counterclock wise, although the left spot looks just about on the same level as the right. The high beams were totally blinding even looked from the side. Is this unbalance of light illumination a common normal thing and just my perspective problem or something else? I already polished the outside of the light covers with mother's plastic polish n got rid of all the yellow stains. I think there are still a slight tint of yellow from the inside of the cover and there are like chipped small microsized dots everywhere on my lense cover, probably due to the small stones or watever hitting due to the 12 year 170K excessive usage. 3m rubbing compound can't really get rid of them. they are a lot deeper than 1200 grit sandpapers. Do you guys think that could be a problem? Cuz from wat i've read, everyone here are pretty much very satisfied with the silverstars, I don't want to be left out.

·
Registered
785 Posts
ok, to make the headlamp go up, on the top side of it, theres a screw thing, that says right next to it something like up/down.....

right behind the metal rail there, there is a plastic screw thing, should be whitish..... get a wrench thingy (my mind isnt working tonight), and turn it clockwise to make it go left, and counter clockwise to go right... if i remember, just mess around with it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i put some 90w 9005 on my 2001 camry and it started smoking, end up discoloring my headlight housing a little :( but i learn... just pick me up some 55w, which going replace those 90w.

i wouldn't recommend.

·
Registered
346 Posts
i hate silvestars cause they suck on the 88 camry headlight patter so i switched to PIAA 9004 nd its alot better. Just need to align them right i fucked em up last night. gotta do it before headin to philly with my friend. anyways ya i have same prob. passenger side lights are dimmer than driver side nd i noe wat the prob is its the wiring harness(hold harness=weak ass mother). anyone noe where to get replacements nd that can stand up to intense wattage?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
alrite, as i promised i am posting the results of the eurodezign xenon/krypton bulbs.

pro: it does look really really white. somewat of a cold white as opposed to the silverstars hot white, if you know what i mean. it didn't give off as much of a blue tint as i expected but it does look somewat nice n it's only half the price of the silverstars i had on.

con: a lot dimmer in comparison to the 9005 modded silverstars sitting in the low beam sockets. but then considering it's 9006 that i got so it might be the factor here. and also cold white doesn't light up the road as good as silverstars in the first place. under street lamps illumination you can hardly see that the beams covering the roads.

conclusion: it looks alrite and is slightly better than stock lo beams. for 20 bucks it's somewat of a bargain, but for 20 dollar more, i would rather get the silverstars 9005, which i did, simply cuz they are gonna sit in there for a long ass time so one might as well just get the best.

notes: i guess i am gonna try to get some pictures for comparisons when i switch the bulb back to the silverstars, right now i got some hood latch problem, so soon as that gets fixed, we'll see to the pics getting done.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I tried at least 14 pairs of those xenon bulbs. From Piaa to eurolite...... The only one that's work is Silverstar. (give more light). So 14 pairs (at least $25 for a pair which is not) 25*14=$350. I spent another $400 for my hid system cost a lot more but worth the money.:D
So before spent more money on those bulbs, you might wanna think about hid retrofit???? cost you about $400, but it's last a lot longer and work better those wanna be HID bulbs.

·
Camry Gen5er
2002 Camry LE I4
242 Posts
for those of u that wonder how the sylvania silverstar is vs the eurodezigns... I've got 2 pics... Both r 9005 lightbulbs modified to fit the 9006 socket... and both r 65W so they work fine, no melting or anything.
Driver side: 9005 Silverstar about $30 on ebay for pair. like $50-60 at kragens :eek:
Passenger side: 9005 Eurodezigns 8500K (was listed as 6000K on ebay!!) $20 total for pair

Light output:
http://home.comcast.net/~zettahertz/output.JPG (raised one is the eurodezigns)

what it looks like from the front:
http://home.comcast.net/~zettahertz/headlight.JPG

Conclusion: silverstar is brighter, but not as white looking as the eurodezigns. but both better than stock =P

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the pics! The silverstars look much brighter than the eurodezigns. I was thinking about getting the eurodezigns too because of their lifetime warranty, now I'm skeptical about its light output.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts