Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I installed my Dakar leafs today. The install wasn't too bad. A 2nd person is almost a necesity though. Maneuvering the leafs around is a lot easier with two people. I also added the carrier bearing spacer. I've only got about 15 miles on the new springs, and I'm happy so far. The ride is smoother than stock. Potholes are not near as harsh when you hit em. The first inch or two of travel is soft, but then the firmness kicks in when you need it. The Donahoe shocks and the weight of the camper shell makes the ride real nice. The springs might settle a little bit, but as of right now the Dakars raised my truck about 1.5" higher than the Alcan AALs did. The overall lift is 3". I'll probably raise my front coilovers a little bit to make the ride more level. I'll give it a few days before I adjust anything.

Then I installed EBC rotors and Hawk ceramic brake pads. I got slotted rotors with dimples. The dimples make it appear to be a drilled rotor, but without weakening the rotor. Slotted and dimpled are less prone to cracking and warping than drilled and slotted, from what I've read. The install was pretty easy. All you need is a 17mm socket to remove the caliper, 12mm socket to remove the brake line bracket, clamps to compress the pistons, and some needle nose pliers to pull the pins. And a rubber hammer to knock the stock rotor off of the hub. The brakes feel good, but they need a week or so to get broken-in before I can really see how they perform. I included a picture of the part numbers on the boxes just in case anybody else wants to do this. I ordered the brakes from aj-usa.com.

I've got the stock wheels back on the truck. There was an error in the milling process that caused some vibration in 2 of the wheels. Boze made me a whole new set of wheels. They just arrived Friday. Instead of black powdercoat, I went with gunmetal gray. I also had the wheels made reverse rim, which means that the wheel will have a nice flat lip, longer spokes, no valve stem on the front, and a cleaner look overall. They look so awesome. I'll get the tires mounted this week, once the flush mount valve stems arrive.

My new beastly air jack :D I love this jack. It made the job so easy.

It was gettin' dark outside. I'll get better pics later.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Then I finished the day off by hand washing the truck while it was sleeting. :eek: Brrrrrr

My neighbors think I'm crazy, but the dirt and salt on my truck was killing me.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
docindahouze said:
Where da yak rack aat ehh?
Sheesh. I'll put the rack on once I get the wheels put on. I'll get it all polished and waxed and have my bother take some professional pics of the whole rig in all its glory.

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma Sport 4x
477 Posts
Nice move on those brakes PB..

Just when I thought I was the only Taco owner with rotten brakes, PB gets the "set-up" and this months issue of Car & Driver has a big two paqe long term test of a 2006 4x4 Tacoma sport LB...they hated the Brakes so much that they took theirs into the dealership for warranty work. To no real avail though as the shitty Tacoma brakes were one of the testers major gripes.

Curious to see how PB's braking improves with his mods. My thought is that our brakes will always have a poor pedal feel but will stop in an acceptable distance. 170-180 feet from 70MPH.

·
Forumatic Immunity!
05 Taco DC LB V6 TRD
3,745 Posts
Adventure North said:
That's what I was thinking, look at those brake lines in the first pic.:ugh3:
knowing him, he probably has them on order already. ;)

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
jkcparker said:
did you have the vibration with the AAL??
I've got a little bit of vibes during braking.

The AALs worked great, but I wanted a little more lift. With the weight of the camper shell the AAL raised my rear about 1.25" after the springs settled. I'll probably sell the AAL, or I might just sell the whole leaf pack.

·
Forumatic Immunity!
05 Taco DC LB V6 TRD
3,745 Posts
Pb said:
So many mods.... so little money.
ehehehe. you mean so much money. i dont know how you do it. I have my theories though.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Adventure North said:
That's what I was thinking, look at those brake lines in the first pic.:ugh3:
Yeah, that's before I had the shocks bolted at the top. Once the shocks are bolted up they won't let the suspension travel that far and stretch the lines so much. But I do plan on getting some longer SS lines. Now where's that thread about upgrading the brake lines?

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
docindahouze said:
ehehehe. you mean so much money. i dont know how you do it. I have my theories though.
Wheelin' and dealin' on Ebay and on forums. Everytime I buy something I gotta sell something. For example, eyedoc bought my Westin tube steps last week, so I used that money to buy the EBC rotors. It's a never ending cycle.

·
Forumatic Immunity!
05 Taco DC LB V6 TRD
3,745 Posts
Pb said:
Wheelin' and dealin' on Ebay and on forums. Everytime I buy something I gotta sell something. For example, eyedoc bought my Westin tube steps last week, so I used that money to buy the EBC rotors. It's a never ending cycle.
you are absolutely right, you have now inspired me to sell a bunch of my stuff now. i have alot of expensives good worth quite a bit. I can make a pretty penny off it. Like my RC's for Example, and a few bike racks.

·
Registered
839 Posts
jkcparker said:
hey PB im ordering the dakars tomorrow... any shudder?? im hoping OME has the pinion angle right on these.. Nice looking install.. sweet truck
it depends on the truck. I had shuddering with my dakar springs and had to use 2.5* shims

1 - 20 of 91 Posts