Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a $50 header off ebay, I gotta say I've been using it for a couple weeks now and it feels peppier but that could be all in my head! The inlets are quite a bit bigger in internal diameter then the stock manifold.
I had to trim some of the header that goes into the existing exhaust since it stuck out too far to seal but other than that everything worked out perfect. I reused the exhaust donut and metal oem manifold gasket and had no leaks.
Only thing I'd be worried about is that there is no support bracket so it might eventually crack, also you cant use your heat shield so I bought some titanium exhaust wrap that I have not put on yet which was another $15 for 50ft

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
6,267 Posts
Sounds nice inside the car, sounds like rice outside the car. 🤪 My bet is the headers will do fine compared to a rice muffler.
(Wrong car)

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
It's dead silent still, the way my lady likes it lmao
If you check out my other videos, I eventually got a Catback that is much nicer and surprisingly "well behaved".

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you check out my other videos, I eventually got a Catback that is much nicer and surprisingly "well behaved".
I've never touched the sold exhaust adds, either I go straight pipe with a muffler delete and exhaust fender tuck so you cant see it or if I want a loud/silent setup buy one of those wireless open downpipe kits, put it on right after the catalytic converter and typically it's a very nice deep tone when opened straight dump
Electric exhaust dump ebay link

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
I've never touched the sold exhaust adds, either I go straight pipe with a muffler delete and exhaust fender tuck so you cant see it or if I want a loud/silent setup buy one of those wireless open downpipe kits, put it on right after the catalytic converter and typically it's a very nice deep tone when opened straight dump
Electric exhaust dump ebay link
I figured I would buy the "bolt-on" muffler because I was not planning on buying my catback anytime soon. Then I bought my catback... The catback was worth it though as it does sound great and is well-behaved. I MIGHT cut my secondary catalytic converter when it goes bad because it is not monitored but that is ONLY when it goes bad.

The only other person with the Megan Racing Catback video said later he removed it because it was too quiet and too small...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I figured I would buy the "bolt-on" muffler because I was not planning on buying my catback anytime soon. Then I bought my catback... The catback was worth it though as it does sound great and is well-behaved. I MIGHT cut my secondary catalytic converter when it goes bad because it is not monitored but that is ONLY when it goes bad.

The only other person with the Megan Racing Catback video said later he removed it because it was too quiet and

The only other person with the Megan Racing Catback video said later he removed it because it was too quiet and too small...
The video sounds perfect to be honest, no rasp, nice linear sound
The cat delete would probably increase the rasp quiet a bit
Also a unmonitored cat? You sure that's not a resonator??? I havent came across something like that x.x

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
The video sounds perfect to be honest, no rasp, nice linear sound
The cat delete would probably increase the rasp quiet a bit
Also a unmonitored cat? You sure that's not a resonator??? I havent came across something like that x.x
On my 2008 Toyota Camry, it is:
  1. AF Sensor
  2. Integrated exhaust catalytic converter manifold
  3. O2 Sensor
  4. Flex pipe
  5. Small catalytic converter
  6. Megan Racing resonator (seems a lot smaller than OEM)
  7. Megan Racing muffler
The worry is, of course, what will it sound like with that straight pipe. I guess the plan is, if it goes bad, straight pipe it. If it sounds horrible, replace the entire pipe. If not, then we good! Then I may take it on another Dyno to see if there is a difference.

To be a bit more precise, I actually meant when the flex pipe goes bad I might straight pipe as the catalytic converter will last quite awhile before the rusts gets to it. The flex pipe and small catalytic converter are on the same pipe.

The sound may be inside but even then it sounds "well-behaved".

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
I'm usually a bit iffy about eBay parts like your exhaust manifold but for $50 and minor trimming it doesn't seem too bad, rather at least it does not have a "high-flow" catalytic converter attached to it like I would for my car to pass emissions.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm usually a bit iffy about eBay parts like your exhaust manifold but for $50 and minor trimming it doesn't seem too bad, rather at least it does not have a "high-flow" catalytic converter attached to it like I would for my car to pass emissions.
Holy, $500 for an exhaust system is a ton! That's literally how much a echo is xD
I see you have emissions though which is a bummer, out here in the woods we dont have any, no joke a big diesel drove by me while I left a grocery store open exhaust so loud JUST AT IDLE that it hurt my ears, cop right next to me didnt even care and kept walking.
And tbh I had a open downpipe on both my turbo tercel and alltrac celica for at least a year which cops didnt care about either...

But with the manifold being cheap I do expect it to crack forsure without any flex pipe or engine mount bracket for support, ive been down this road many times... usually I have the ebay manifold's welds gone over and beefed up but was in a hurry!

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Holy, $500 for an exhaust system is a ton! That's literally how much a echo is xD
I see you have emissions though which is a bummer, out here in the woods we dont have any, no joke a big diesel drove by me while I left a grocery store open exhaust so loud JUST AT IDLE that it hurt my ears, cop right next to me didnt even care and kept walking.
And tbh I had a open downpipe on both my turbo tercel and alltrac celica for at least a year which cops didnt care about either...

But with the manifold being cheap I do expect it to crack forsure without any flex pipe or engine mount bracket for support, ive been down this road many times... usually I have the ebay manifold's welds gone over and beefed up but was in a hurry!
Good stuff costs good money, it could've been cheaper had I done a custom exhaust but I still have no clue what it will sound like. I could always just register my car up north where they don't have emissions but the only issue with that is that some catalytic converters are required for a vehicle to run "right" and given that my main catalytic converter is built into the exhaust manifold it is even more important.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts