Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm near to buying an Echo, but am concerned over numerous complaints from other owners about poor stability in side winds. I use my car for commuting over moderate distances (not just inner city) and do experience a variety of whether, here in Ohio.
My question:
What MODIFICATIONS might be made to an Echo to increase its stability in side winds? Specifically, I'd like input on whether negative offset wheels, on the rear only, might increase stability. Also, what about lower profile tires, simple suspension modifications?
Thanks in advance you your help.
Tracker

·
There is no substitute.
8,027 Posts
Stiffer, lowered springs and wider, lower profile tires will reduce that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

Where or how would I deal with the springs? I've never modified a vehicle before (other than wheels and tires).

Tracker

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
Negative offset for just the rear? That's something I'd stay away from. When I picture that in my head, I visualize a little Echo with 13 or 14 inch wheels... that stick out way too far from the fender.

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
It's a problem with all highly streamlined cars. Changing the suspension is not going to change the fact that it is a low weight car that is very aerodynamic. It's always going to be blown around in a breeze.

·
Registered
Scion XA
655 Posts
as mentioned before lowering springs or coil overs, lower profile wider tire, and strut bar would be one of the other good things. maybe front and rear sway bars if they make them. i'm not familar with how much is available for the echo. maybe a rear strut bar. i own a paseo.

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Lots and Lots of stereo equipment. Load that bitch down, if it weighs as much as a semi, she aint goin no where.

·
Owner of Prius V & others
00 Solara - 07 Vitz
2,054 Posts
Way back a couple of months ago ( July ) we were considering buying a echo hatch back, So one day we went to take one for a test drive.

That day was very very windy.... There was my fiance (Sovia) the sales lady and my self.

We left and got on the high way we took it up to 120km/h and then even pushed it at one point to 140km/h when we started going 140 I noticed the wind starting to bounce us around but I was more concerned with the noise.... I was just thinking damn I would have to have the music soo loud so that i would not hear the wind on a windy day.

But to be honest the car was very stable onder those condtions and keep in mind that day it had to be at least 60-70 km/h winds and on the high way it is very open.

Even the sales lady was impressed that the cars habdling really did not get affected by the high winds.

So I think if you do what Ekam suggested it should be even better.

-Rick

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
Coilovers, widebody, 225 tires, swaybars... not only would it be stable, but it would be about the coolest echo ever.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
^ and it also wouldn't go anywhere fast either with 225 tires....it'd be cool...but that's too wide for a small car w/ no power

1 - 10 of 10 Posts