Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Silver Bullet
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it is possible to do a swap the 4 speed auto out my echo for a 5 speed manual? If it is what kinda time and resources would it take? Also, if thats not the best idea is it possible to upgrade the auto? I know the scions run the 1NZ-FE and probably the same transmission and there might be parts do so, does anyone have any idea about this?

I know it would require at least the new transmission but would the transaxle have to be swapped too?

·
Super Moderator
3,631 Posts
Well, you can. The transaxle IS the transmission. You would require - probably axle shafts, transmission, clutch, pressure plate, clutch and brake pedal assembly(ies), clutch master/slave cylinder, clutch lines, new brake fluid reservoir, possibly the ecu, possibly the engine wiring harness, neutral safety switch, possibly a manual trans dash depending on how toyota did the speedo gearing, shifter housing and linkages. These are at a minimum and there's probably a dozen or more pieces I left out, including the possibility that Toyota used a different subframe arrangement.

The manual swap I can see the reasons for...I can't see why you would consider upgrading the automatic though...

·
Silver Bullet
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bgrieger said:
The manual swap I can see the reasons for...I can't see why you would consider upgrading the automatic though...
I'm sure there are ways to upgrade an auto but it was just to cover all the bases of information.

That was pretty much what i wanted to know, thanks. I really hope sombody else has input too, just to see what other people know.

The way I look at I can get my echo in resale condition, maybe get $6000 thousand for it, and go buy a 5 speed, if i can find one cauz there are only 2 within a 75 mile radius of me, and owe $500 and lose my stereo and some of the nicer features my echo has or i can pay of the $4000 i owe my mom for it and then do whatever i want with it.

·
BANNED
1,497 Posts
SLPR1987 said:
I'm sure there are ways to upgrade an auto but it was just to cover all the bases of information.

That was pretty much what i wanted to know, thanks. I really hope sombody else has input too, just to see what other people know.

The way I look at I can get my echo in resale condition, maybe get $6000 thousand for it, and go buy a 5 speed, if i can find one cauz there are only 2 within a 75 mile radius of me, and owe $500 and lose my stereo and some of the nicer features my echo has or i can pay of the $4000 i owe my mom for it and then do whatever i want with it.
That would be a wiser choice. With the manual swap there are chances of things going wrong and might harm the resale value (unless you plan to keep it for a while). Its not worth the hassel since the Echo/Yaris is pretty common.

·
Silver Bullet
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tangerine said:
That would be a wiser choice. With the manual swap there are chances of things going wrong and might harm the resale value (unless you plan to keep it for a while).
If I did do the swap I would be planning to keep the car fro a while cuz the it would be the first step to tuning it.

Tangerine said:
Its not worth the hassel since the Echo/Yaris is pretty common.
As i stated in the first post i have looked for 00-02 echos near me on craigslist and autotrader and could only find two within 100 miles and i cant afford to trade mine in and finance the new one as it would be a $3000 difference and i owe $4300 on mine and i'm currently looking for work

Mainly what i am trying to find out is if it is more cost effective to sell my auto and try to find a 5 speed or risk doing the swap, and possibly, as it seems you are bit more knowledable, upgrade the auto.....

·
BANNED
1,497 Posts
SLPR1987 said:
If I did do the swap I would be planning to keep the car fro a while cuz the it would be the first step to tuning it.

As i stated in the first post i have looked for 00-02 echos near me on craigslist and autotrader and could only find two within 100 miles and i cant afford to trade mine in and finance the new one as it would be a $3000 difference and i owe $4300 on mine and i'm currently looking for work

Mainly what i am trying to find out is if it is more cost effective to sell my auto and try to find a 5 speed or risk doing the swap, and possibly, as it seems you are bit more knowledable, upgrade the auto.....
I did an auto to manual swap with my friend on his 240SX and parts were 800 total. We've checked the prices for this task around my area just to find out if it was worth it or not and we have gotten quotes from 2k to 3k (your area may be more or less). It was cheaper to do the job ourselves but getting used parts for a 1989 is a gamble (which probably does not apply in your situation). Are you set on having a manual Echo? Since you owe money on the car I wouldn't mod it till it is paid off or to sell it and get something like a Civic, Integra, etc where there are more tuning potential and where the gains are cheaper. Best of luck to your decision.

·
Registered
1 Posts

It's been a LONG time since your original post (over 12 years) BUT as an owner of a 5 speed 2001 Echo, that is still running with 607 k miles, I hope you kept your automatic Echo until you grew up a bit more. A kid like you would've been would've wound up with a torn up car, kicking the dirt, and pitching a fit. AND automatic is EXACTLY what you needed at the time and perhaps alot longer on. Simply because KIDS and most adults, are HELL on clutches. ME?. I've still GOT the original clutch in mine...Bit notchy BUT YEA, unbelievable but true after 18-plus years. One thing that I've been on borrowed time for a VERY long time, is a whining/GROWLING transmission that no longer stays in 5th. Common problem after about 250k miles with EVERY Yota' 5 speed. (Even on the 4-speed in my 89 Tercel). If I'd had my druthers, I'd have preferred the automatic though because 99. per cent of the miles on my '01 were ROAD miles where the difference between the 4speed auto and 5 speed manual would be nil because of the final gearing. I still love the car BUT trying to find a replacement 5 speed from say a 2006 Scion XB is getting pretty darn slim (Atleast one that hasn't been dogged before it was wrecked and in worse shape than mine). AND, although there's some discussion on it, a Yaris 5 speed is different. SO, I'm almost to the point of saying it's past time to retire the ole girl and just admit, I'll never find another car like her. Temptation for awhile was to try and import one of the 1.4 TurboDiesels with 5 speed BUT 1)Diesels are a pain to get parts for in America 2)Diesel fuel's price negates the extra mpg 2). There's always SOMETHING in one of these swaps that gets left out by the shipper and where am I going to scrounge the needed bracket, harness, etc that got butchered on the removal. (AND you ain't bringing the whole car across the border say from Canada thru New York anyway).

Like I said, hope you kept the automatic the way it was. Maybe even kept the car going as a commuter. Better just left alone the way it came.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts