Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

My buddy's gf is looking for something to replace her POS Saturn. She does lots of driving for work (50k plus a year) and her morning drive is pretty much all highway (20-25 minutes, no stop-n-go).

Leasing (imo) is out because of the mileage that she will put on the vehicle. She wants to keep it cheap so it will probably be a used (2000 up?) Echo or Focus. Ooops ... she can't drive a stick so it will have to be an automatic too. :hammer:

What kind of mileage/longevity/reliability can she expect from an Echo? Anyone out there have any experiences with a Focus?

Thanks!
Aldo

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
Older focus were notorious for quality problems. As I've heard, they are not too bad anymore. Basically size and price are the big decision factors, though she will likely also throw style into the mix. Safety ratings will be similar, and standard equipment/options are also similar. Echos seem to be holding up fairly well...

Bob

·
Platinum Shift Customs
556 Posts
Focus is an unreliable POS that gets HORRID gas mileage compared to the echo and the resale value of an echo is substancially higher than that of a focus. C'mon comparing Ford to Toyota, its a no brainer, fit and finish, long term reliability, resale.

Vote: Echo

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup ... I'm voting Toyota too.

I'm heard that the Focii are not that good in the fuel economy department. Long term will favour the Echo vs the Focus too, imo.

I was wondering how much mileage the "high milers" are getting out of the little Echo engines.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She's looking for something used ... can't afford to go new (even with the cheaper cars). I've yet to see any Scions out in our neck of the woods in Ontario.

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
Scion is not available in Canada. Echo is all there is. However, the focus is closer to the corolla in terms of marketing. Again, I'd lean to the corolla all things equal, or look at the Mazda 3.

Bob

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like she's getting a 2k Echo for around $7000. I hope it works out for her.

Thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
My dad used to work for ford for 7 years....if anyone even considers a focus...he says stay away from the 2000-2001 models. Too many problems.
You have to look into if you're willing to trade gas mileage for comfort and convienece when you compare the two.
Echo is cost efficient and the focus is a little more "upscale" in luxury (IMO).
I for one usually go for comfort, cuz (like you said you're gf drives alot too) a car is like you're third home (aside from real home as you're 1st, work being your 2nd) and you want to be comfy.

Good luck in the hunt!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Never get a Ford. (No offense to anyone!) I love my Echo! Growing up, my parents always had Fords. They were always broken down. They still haven't learned their lesson. They just bought another Ford and it broke down the same week they got it!

Michelle

1 - 10 of 10 Posts