Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

Thanks a lot for every tips I've found on this forum.

I have an issue with my 2002 Toyota Echo.

First, I'm not a mechanical guy, but I'm willing to try some troubleshooting.

I'm working at home and at almost every evening, I'm going to a coffee shop (less than 1 mile away) sip a coffee and reading newspaper. When it's very cold (below 3F, Canadian here), the second time (when I want to go back at home) I want to start the car, it won't. Sometimes, after the 100th cranks, the car is starting. I have to call the road assistance to boost the car. My battery pack (motormaster 300A) won't do the job.

Some information about the car :

- I successfully changed my spark plugs, the issue still there.

- I changed my oil in early January. Unfortunately, I don't know the weight.

- it always start the first time, never the second time.

- battery it's an 2016

My theories about the issue (I can be very wrong)

- Oil weight and viscosity are wrong for the weather, so it won't lubricate correctly the motor.

- My travel distance is too short for charging the battery for the next start

- My battery is dying (but it's only 3 years old?)

- starter is going to die (but it's working flawless during hotter temp).

- my battery pack is shit (300A, it is enough?)

So, what can I do? Let the car motor running longer? What are you thinking about that?

(Sorry, English isn't my primary language, so some sentences could be weird for you)

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
05 camry 07 tacoma
2,357 Posts
My travel distance is too short for charging the battery for the next start

3 years is probably the bat limit according to the use.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My travel distance is too short for charging the battery for the next start

3 years is probably the bat limit according to the use.
For real? How can I check my wear level of my battery?

·
Registered
164 Posts
When I purchased my Echo I was warned that the battery, even though is was relatively new, wouldn't last long because they had put in the least expensive NAPA battery available. I have trouble turning the motor over now even when the temperature is in the upper 20's. If the temperature was hovering around zero it probably wouldn't turn over at all, and I'm using synthetic motor oil.

The problem, as you've identified, is primarily due to having a weak battery for the weather conditions. Just a quick check on AutoZone's website and we see that their Duralast Gold battery is rated at 640 cold cranking amps. Upgrade your battery to one with a LOT more cold cranking amps.

As for motor oil in the winter months consider 5W-20 synthetic. Synthetic oil will make it a lot easier for your starter to turn the engine over.

·
Registered
MR2 3.3TT
162 Posts
Sometimes, after the 100th cranks, the car is starting. I have to call the road assistance to boost the car. My battery pack (motormaster 300A) won't do the job.

Can you explain this? Will the engine crank normally for 100 times before it actually starts, or is it cranking very slowly and sluggish?

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I purchased my Echo I was warned that the battery, even though is was relatively new, wouldn't last long because they had put in the least expensive NAPA battery available. I have trouble turning the motor over now even when the temperature is in the upper 20's. If the temperature was hovering around zero it probably wouldn't turn over at all, and I'm using synthetic motor oil.

The problem, as you've identified, is primarily due to having a weak battery for the weather conditions. Just a quick check on AutoZone's website and we see that their Duralast Gold battery is rated at 640 cold cranking amps. Upgrade your battery to one with a LOT more cold cranking amps.

As for motor oil in the winter months consider 5W-20 synthetic. Synthetic oil will make it a lot easier for your starter to turn the engine over.

I have a NAPA one!

What is the meaning of cca and ca?

CCA-How much power to start the car in really cold climates
CA-How much power to start the car in most average climates.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
ca stands for cranking amps. cca stands for cold cranking amps. For winter starting the more important specification is the cca number, it is an indication of how powerful your battery will be when turning the motor over under really cold conditions.

One thing you could do, before buying a different battery, is to clean your terminal posts. A good connection can make a big difference. Battery terminal cleaners are very inexpensive, and available anywhere batteries are sold.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you explain this? Will the engine crank normally for 100 times before it actually starts, or is it cranking very slowly and sluggish?

Oh sorry. I tried to start the car like 100 time. I shouldn't, but sometimes its works.

·
Registered
29 Posts
What you are experiencing is called a hot start problem. You could bring the battery somewhere to get it tested, but I really doubt that's your problem, especially because you're using a booster pack and it doesn't seem to help. General advice on the internet would be to look at the fuel system instead (leaking injectors, bad fuel pump relay, etc)

My Echo has a dubious battery and uses 5w30 synthetic I get on sale, and it starts just fine in the exact same weather.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts