Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
New here and just got a 95 Camry LE Sedan 2.2L Auto Tranny with only 90K on the clock.
What does the ECT button do near the shifter?
When I press it to "ON", I get a "PWR" light on the dash.
Can't seem to find out what this does.

Another question: ..do I have the 5sfe engine?

·
Ninja-rator
4,262 Posts
Hi there, welcome to TN.

I hope you stay a while. In the future, please try to use the search function because you might have a query which might already be answered.

This is a thread, stickied of often asked questions such as yours: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222090&highlight=ect

In brief, yes you do have a 5sfe, 4 cylinders in the camries of your gen are 5sfe. The ECT button is just an electronic switch that basically tells your tranny to hold out the rpms a bit longer before up shifting for extra power. Try it out for yourself the next time you find a long quiet road, do it with and without and you'll see the difference (though not drastic).

·
Registered
552 Posts
I've found that having the ect button on helps with driving in slippery conditions as well, It tends to shift less often when cornering.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much for the replies.
I now understand what this button does.
Will play with the 2 settings today.
:chug:

·
Registered
1992 Camry Prominent
25 Posts
I've searched the board and read http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222090&highlight=ect

but couldn't find anything related to the ECT-MANU button.

Next to my ECT PWR button, there is a ECT MANU button, which when activated is indicated with an orange light in the dashboard ...

I can't have PWR and MANU at the same time ... so I'm just wondering what the MANU stands for?

Cheers

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
^ VERY interesting. USDM Camrys have a space for the MANU light, but there's no bulb or circuit to illuminate it. Have you tried looking through your owners manual?

·
Registered
1992 Camry Prominent
25 Posts
nope sorry, don't have a manual ... I doubt that even the previous owner had one and in case he had, it probably was written in Japanese.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Darn. The only thing I can think of then is to call your local dealership and ask them to explain it. Or look around online and see if you can't find an owners manual. I've been wondering what the MANU light was for forever!

·
Registered
1992 Camry Prominent
25 Posts
I guess I have to ... my local Toyota dealer is pretty useless ...
I wanted to get some bulbs for door light and the roof light ... well they weren't able to check in their system which bulb I need ... so I had to come back with an example of the bulb I want .... also when I asked them to sell me some original plugs (e.g. for the radio) they said: nope we don't do any wiring or electronics nor do we sell basic electronic parts .... ... and those guys are the biggest toyota dealer over here ... unbelievable :(

I'll keep you posted reg. the ECT MANU button

1 - 10 of 10 Posts