Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Corolla hatchback SE
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have anyone did the EGR delete on their Corolla?

If so, did you have to "remap" the ECU or have you face any CELs or engine problem?

Any input would be great!

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
14,453 Posts

Reactions: L3G1T

·
Registered
2019 Corolla Hatchback SE - CVT
251 Posts
i did mine, with the amt stage 2++ PB tune it unlocks burbles and LOTS of pops for me. i don't know if thats normal or not, but any time i'm off throttle it burbles or pops now

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
14,453 Posts
The EGR is taking the crap from the engine and sends it back. By eliminating it helps, but it helps more with a occ. Occ will filter out the crap more or less.

·
Registered
2021 Corolla SE CVT
80 Posts
The EGR is taking the crap from the engine and sends it back. By eliminating it helps, but it helps more with a occ. Occ will filter out the crap more or less.
EGR is diluting the incoming airstream with exhaust gas to reduce the oxygen content in intake air when wide open throttle power is not needed. this reduces peak cylinder temperature to reduce generation of nitrogen oxides, and reduces the amount of heat lost to the block during combustion. any heat lost to the block is energy that didn't go into pushing the cylinder down.
EGR also allows you to reduce the amount of oxygen in the intake charge at cruising scenarios so that the throttle does not need to be closed as much, which reduces pumping losses.
EGR is a major contributor to the effieiciency and low emissions nature of the engine. You want to delete it, go ahead, but do know that it exists for a reason, and that reason is valid. The M20A-FKS has port fuel injectors which will tend to reduce carbon build up where it can be the most harmful, on the intake valves, so I am not that concerned about the EGR.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
14,453 Posts
EGR is diluting the incoming airstream with exhaust gas to reduce the oxygen content in intake air when wide open throttle power is not needed. this reduces peak cylinder temperature to reduce generation of nitrogen oxides, and reduces the amount of heat lost to the block during combustion. any heat lost to the block is energy that didn't go into pushing the cylinder down.
EGR also allows you to reduce the amount of oxygen in the intake charge at cruising scenarios so that the throttle does not need to be closed as much, which reduces pumping losses.
EGR is a major contributor to the effieiciency and low emissions nature of the engine. You want to delete it, go ahead, but do know that it exists for a reason, and that reason is valid. The M20A-FKS has port fuel injectors which will tend to reduce carbon build up where it can be the most harmful, on the intake valves, so I am not that concerned about the EGR.
I don't own a new Corolla. Mine is a disi Mazdaspeed 3 which does contribute to carbon build up on the valves. Since this new engine has both direct and port injection, EGR is still sending stuff back into the crankcase. In essence, you want to redirect it to a occ to keep the fuel from further dillution of the oil and degrading it and prevent further oil consumption and gumming up the valves or the piston rings.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Corolla Hatchback XSE Blue Fame Black Interior 6Spd manual transmission
60 Posts
I hate plastic, kinda wanna make a SS pipe for the EGR, instead of deleting it, an upgrade might make some improvements overall...and it won't crack

·
Registered
19 Posts
I hate plastic, kinda wanna make a SS pipe for the EGR, instead of deleting it, an upgrade might make some improvements overall...and it won't crack
It's plastic not just to save cost and weight, plastic intake components don't retain as much heat as metal does. This is likely to lower intake temperatures over a metal pipe.

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
7,147 Posts
It's plastic not just to save cost and weight, plastic intake components don't retain as much heat as metal does. This is likely to lower intake temperatures over a metal pipe.
Plastic does not dissipate heat nearly as well as stainless steel does.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Corolla Hatchback XSE Blue Fame Black Interior 6Spd manual transmission
60 Posts
I wanna call it right now as I did a few posts ago. Plastic parts will crack, especially a plastic exhaust gas recirculating one. I still say making an upgraded version of this part would be awesome...dont know if it would add a few ponies but it would make it stand out being up front and center

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
7,147 Posts
I wanna call it right now as I did a few posts ago. Plastic parts will crack, especially a plastic exhaust gas recirculating one. I still say making an upgraded version of this part would be awesome...dont know if it would add a few ponies but it would make it stand out being up front and center
Stock EGR plastic manifold's chamber increases in volume just before halfway through, but inlet and outlet appear to be about the same size... Would you be using 0.75" and/or 1.0" OD tubing?

90 Degree Tubing Bends 304 L Stainless Steel | Burns Stainless

·
Registered
904 Posts
Some thoughts on this:

The part is made of plastic, yes, but most intake engine components are, and it was proven as OK over the decades of use. I don't remember last time I worked on an engine with cast intake plenum or something else, 80s car may be? Plastic provides consistent smooth flow inside the part, whereas castings surface is rough and can have flash etc that causes turbulence, uneven and possibly restricted flow.

Plastic is lighter than steel and this is also a measure to reduce overall vehicle weight. Ounce here, ounce there, all adds up. Cost is another, a SS piece would be more expensive to make...

EGR is an emission reducing system. Why would one want to pollute air more than necessary on expense of getting one or two HP, and going through trouble of tuning and replacing these parts? One may as well then remove all cats and put in simulators to trick the ECM, that will get more HP gains than this EGR mod and pollute more as well...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Some thoughts on this:

The part is made of plastic, yes, but most intake engine components are, and it was proven as OK over the decades of use. I don't remember last time I worked on an engine with cast intake plenum or something else, 80s car may be? Plastic provides consistent smooth flow inside the part, whereas castings surface is rough and can have flash etc that causes turbulence, uneven and possibly restricted flow.

Plastic is lighter than steel and this is also a measure to reduce overall vehicle weight. Ounce here, ounce there, all adds up. Cost is another, a SS piece would be more expensive to make...

EGR is an emission reducing system. Why would one want to pollute air more than necessary on expense of getting one or two HP, and going through trouble of tuning and replacing these parts? One may as well then remove all cats and put in simulators to trick the ECM, that will get more HP gains than this EGR mod and pollute more as well...
because racecar

• Haha
Reactions: igzy

·
Registered
251 Posts
Update on EGR delete with AMT Stage 2+PB tune;

it runs a lot better now that it’s getting cooler out. Before it would run kind of rough and the burbles would have issues working correctly due to my exhaust being mostly stock. Seems like This is one Toyota I’ve ever owned that actually likes it when it’s cold out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts