Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
eeto........?
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Few days ago my engine light came on, and I took it to Fountain Tire to give it a check, they got a code related to EGR valve. So they cleaned the EGR valve and reset the computer. Then the next afternoon the engine light came on again. Took it back to Fountain Tire, and they recommended me to replace the EGR valve, which cost $400CDN...

My question is, is the EGR valve something really critical to the engine?
I know what the EGR does, but I don't know if it will do damage at the moment.

Thanks for a replies.

·
Registered
633 Posts
What I would do if I were you is replace it with a USED one as they don't break that often. The EGR is important as otherwise you might have several problems like engine running too rich / poor,... Your engine will run but not in ideal conditions without it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
its not really a problem till you have to smog check it

·
eeto........?
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so....... should i worry??
but haha... the light went off today afternoon while i was driving, and it hasn't been on since then... should i still get it checked and see if there's a code registered in my ECU?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Since i got my short ram intake, my check engine light comes on and off periodically. took it to my mechanic and he said it was the EGR Valve...said it would run fine without it, although i agree it probably wont run at its best. I could use an answer to this same question - what would yall recommend?

·
Registered
142 Posts
the car will run fine without the egr valve, since some people actually block it off. but if you are an environmentalist or someone who really cares about the environment, then fix it. the car will not run its best as of gas milage, etc... but i will rather just fix it since it doesnt break often. oh yeah, there is no way you will pass smog with a busted egr... at least not here in cali

·
getn groceries in style
1,095 Posts
egr stands for exhaust gas recirculation. for example, on the japanese 3vzfe motor there is no egr valve, so on the highway it is not recirculating any exhaust back into the intake.

some will say on the highway having the egr blocked yields more performance... but yes you will fail smog.

jon

·
Registered
633 Posts
Some peole do remove it and block them indeed but there is a difference between such a device and a leaking egr : because air is leaking so I guess the air / fuel ratio can't be the same

·
Registered
86 Posts

·
Turbos = Witchcraft
2004 Scion xA
730 Posts
i removed my EGR system and my Charcoal Canister... car runs great... since the exhaust went back into the intake, the intake has felt cool to the touch instead of hot... i just put in a block-off plate and plugged some things up, and my car runs awsome...

·
Triple A Whore
Z06, Camry, Tucson
7,656 Posts
You can do what I did and just take that damn light bulb out that illuminates the check engine light.:rolleyes:

·
Grenaded piston
6,614 Posts
Re: my gen4 is running hot(quick) w/ egr code

pgmomni said:
yesterday i put the car up on ramps to see where egr vsv is. very hard to reach.
The one on the back of the intake manifold?

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
The EGR valve is on intake manifold but the VSV is on the head below the manifold. That is the case on 1990 Celica 5S-FE. I gonna put mine on firewall after the swap.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ne0z31 said:
i removed my EGR system and my Charcoal Canister... car runs great... since the exhaust went back into the intake, the intake has felt cool to the touch instead of hot... i just put in a block-off plate and plugged some things up, and my car runs awsome...
Where did you get your block off plates???

running the car without the egr is fine, but the egr does help with preventing detonation.

·
Turbos = Witchcraft
2004 Scion xA
730 Posts
i made it myself... might post pics a little later... my car seems to get better mpg as well for some reason... but yeah, the car runs perfectly... I took it autocrossing in this condition and the car was fine...

·
Grenaded piston
6,614 Posts
Re: Re: Re: my gen4 is running hot(quick) w/ egr code

pgmomni said:
yes, the VSV for the egr on my 97 camry is located on the head under the intake manifold. i cannot get my hand up or down to get at it. how do you get at this thing!
Have you tried getting to it from underneath the car?

I say this because thats how I unbolted the intake manifold on my 3S-FE. Theres no way to get to the nuts/bolts from the top.

Seeing that the VSV is under the intake manifold, if you go from underneath the car you should be able to get to it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've had the same problem...since getting my SRI my check engine light comes off and on periodically and the code is related to the EGR valve. What would yall recommend I do? I'd like to be able to pass inspection without a problem, and I'm tired of that damn light coming on. (No, im not going to take the bulb out ;) )

1 - 20 of 22 Posts