Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hope it is not a repost.

It will debut at next week's Detroit Motor Show, and rival the all-new Mercedes S-Class, which only has a seven-ratio self-shifter.

Love it or eight it, the LS460's smart styling will be based on the Lexus LF-Sh concept which was displayed at last year's Tokyo exhibition. The newcomer is expected to provide class-leading refinement, with an advanced 4.6-litre V8 pumping out more than 370hp and 500Nm of torque.

The clever box isn't the new model's only hi-tech feature. The company has confirmed that the flagship will use a special air-suspension set-up in a bid to steal sales
from its European rivals.

Despite its superior refinement, the biggest Lexus has traditionally lagged behind its Continental competitors dynamically - but that could all change with the latest machine. There may even be a long-wheelbase variant to tackle the extended BMW 7-Series and Mercedes S-Class models, although there are no plans for a diesel. Instead, the big range-topper is set to become the first-ever hybrid luxury car.

Set to debut at the New York Motor Show in April, the hybrid will boast a 5.0-litre V8 rumoured to generate 450bhp with the aid of a Toyota Prius-style electric motor. The entry-level LS460 is expected to go on sale in November, starting from around £50,000.
Ross Pinnock

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/63181/eightspeed_lexus_is_on_way.html

·
I Love Priuses
1999 Toyota Camry LE
339 Posts
I'm perfectly fine with four gears. I think this "eight gears" thing is just a way of saying to Mercedes, "we're better than you. You got seven gears; we got eight!"

Wouldn't it be better to instead use a CVT? I would assume that a seven/eight-gear transmission would spend more time shifting than it would staying in one ratio. :dunno:

·
TN Member
Prius
5,461 Posts
That's what Mercedes did. BMW came out with the first 6-speed on the 7 Series in 2001 and Mercedes said, we're not gonna follow and came out with 7-speed. The thing is, the 7-spd gear boxes are weak and can't handle lots of power hence the reason why the AMG models are still 5-spd.

·
Registered
406 Posts
epinionator89 said:
I'm perfectly fine with four gears. I think this "eight gears" thing is just a way of saying to Mercedes, "we're better than you. You got seven gears; we got eight!"

Wouldn't it be better to instead use a CVT? I would assume that a seven/eight-gear transmission would spend more time shifting than it would staying in one ratio. :dunno:
You're perfectly fine with four gears? Really? How about 3 gears, or two? Why even need more than one gear? On that note, who needs cruise control, auto dual zone air conditioning, and air suspensions for that matter ;) :p:.

The thing is, these are high class luxury cars we're talking about. You do know what luxury means right? Luxury is never about what people need, it's about what people want; it's about excess and opulence.

Lexus would not make an 8-speed tranny purely for marketing reasons. This tranny quite likely has some innovations which provide useful benefits in economy, comfort, or refinement.

And why not use CVTs? Because CVTs are still weaker than ordinary trannies. I'm not exactly sure if the GS450h or LS600h will use CVT trannies, because if they do, they'll need to be some really special CVTs to handle all that power.

Besides, I never really see anyone complaining about MB's 7 speed tranny, so why complain about Lexus?

·
Needs To Speed
1994 Camry
296 Posts
8 speeds? damn thats a whole lot of shifting. I doubt youd see 6th in the city :lol:

·
TN Member
Prius
5,461 Posts
The GS450h will have a 6-spd transmission. The first regular transmission Hybrid Synergy Drive vehicle.

Which CVT? Cone & Belt or planetary gear set?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Tideland Prius said:
The GS450h will have a 6-spd transmission. The first regular transmission Hybrid Synergy Drive vehicle.

Which CVT? Cone & Belt or planetary gear set?
cone and belt? no hondas here man...

·
'09 iQ Diesel
iQ
792 Posts
vasia said:
And why not use CVTs? Because CVTs are still weaker than ordinary trannies. I'm not exactly sure if the GS450h or LS600h will use CVT trannies, because if they do, they'll need to be some really special CVTs to handle all that power.
FYI. CVT has been used in DAF trucks. If they can handle large rigs, I'm sure CVT should be able to pull a 'little' luxury sedan.

·
H/O 455
1994 Chevy Lumina
976 Posts
What's next? 10 speed? 12 speed? 15 speed?

Eight is getting pretty ridiculous, even seven in the Benz is a little much. Personally, I would hate hearing my car shift over and over and over. Four is a little lacking, but five or six is about right. Our 5-speed Explorer shifts into second gear at 15-20 mph and that bugs me enough, I can't imagine gearing like that throughout the entire powerband.

·
I Love Priuses
1999 Toyota Camry LE
339 Posts
vasia said:
You're perfectly fine with four gears? Really? How about 3 gears, or two? Why even need more than one gear? On that note, who needs cruise control, auto dual zone air conditioning, and air suspensions for that matter ;) :p:.

The thing is, these are high class luxury cars we're talking about. You do know what luxury means right? Luxury is never about what people need, it's about what people want; it's about excess and opulence.

Lexus would not make an 8-speed tranny purely for marketing reasons. This tranny quite likely has some innovations which provide useful benefits in economy, comfort, or refinement.

Besides, I never really see anyone complaining about MB's 7 speed tranny, so why complain about Lexus?
OK, OK, OK! :lol: To the person who wants "excess and opulence", more power to them (no pun intended). But to me it wouldn't suit my lifestyle, considering how I drive mostly around town and I doubt I'd use all eight gears. That's why I said I'm fine with four. :)

·
Cressida Whore
435 Posts
I see some camry too. I love it and kinda hate it at the same time. Its beautiful. The interior, dont get me wrong,t hese pix arent clear, but the interior looks a tad cheap on the doorpanels. I'm not a fan of the Swooping wood on the doors. But hey, its an amazing car. I still cant get used to that "Mercedes Benz" shifter knob though.

·
That Acura Guy
2,383 Posts
Damn these cars are gonna start shifting like big rigs.:ugh3: :lol:

·
Taco Tuesday!
1,604 Posts
maybe lexus has something up their sleeve... 8 gears seems overkill, if they were as one set (1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8). maybe this tranny has 8 gears for the purpose of a secondary set- like a more aggressive ratio for certain gears. for example: maybe it's a standard 5 gear transmission, until you mash the pedal (or push a button? who knows), therefore activating the more aggressive pattern, like a more agressive 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear.

OR maybe it has 2 overdrives (and two other ratios as stated above)- one for normal speeds, and another one for speeds over 70 m.p.h. so you don't have to be over 3000 rpm which can be noisy (for a lexus) and more gas guzzling.

OR maybe it has more agressive gear ratios way up there (maybe for the autobahn?), so you can actually have a "stronger" pull in 4th and 5th gears and have an additional gear which is your new overdrive for those speeds in the 150 m.p.h. range. this possibility is probably the least possible as those gears wouldn't probably be used very much- therefore rendering it somewhat useless. but then again, it's lexus> its a luxury car> and there's gotta be some justification for 8 gears, no matter how insignificant it is.

like i said earlier, i may be totally wrong in all of this (though i think mercedes benz uses something similar as what i said in the first case)...

just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Me like

I think Toyota/Lexus is building the LS with 8gear is to save on gas. You'll be cruising at a much lower rpm to save more gas. A V8 Lexus getting 20 something ish mpg in the city is a killer cruising luxury sedan. Mercedes is still a gas guzzler with 7 speed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts