Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 823 Posts

·
There is no substitute.
7,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First official stop...

As soon as I arrived, we went to the local market to pickup some fromage, baguette and crossiants. GOD DAMN those breads are pretty damn tasty.

This is my friend's back yard. YUP!!! :eek::eek::eek:

This is about 15 mins away from his house. Scenery here is absolutely breath taking.

We went up 800 meters high to the mountains, where the French resistance once hid and fought with the Nazis. We went to this historic farmhouse which a group of them were surrounded, they were then caught, lined up and gunned down alive by machine gun.

·
There is no substitute.
7,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Strangely next to the farmhouse, there is a US Navy boat that was used in Beaches of Normandy invasion. It's actually still intact instead of rotting, they use these to hold the water to feed the cows. It's one of thousands that were left in France.

Still trying to take this in.

·
Save The Manuals
1999 Avalon XLS
1,837 Posts
Awesome pics so far! Are there other places you plan on visiting while in Europe?

G

·
0 Posts
Thanks, Ekam.

Take lots of photos of French women. They have an ethic about "being skinny" and work hard at it. French cooking is awesome but they keep the portions modest.

·
There is no substitute.
7,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On a related topic, my buddy here has a Smart Forfour (4-door version of the Smart car, but it's actually a based on a Mitsubishi). Man that little 95hp 3-cyl 1.5L Diesel hauls ass in the mountains even with 3 adults in it!!!

Highway coming from the airport is perfectly paved, I did not see a single pothole and the lanes are just as wide as North American highways although we had pay toll to drive on it. There was little traffic leaving the Lyon airport too which was VERY nice.

We also drove by a fake full-size Mirage that's propped up on the side of the road. Apparently there is a squadron in an air force base close by and they do low-altitude flying either every Tuesday or Thursday morning around 10-ish.

·
There is no substitute.
7,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
going to Paris by chance? There's a cool Toyota showroom on the Avenue des Champs-Élysées.
We stumbled to the dealership, and FUAK ME THEY HAVE A 2000 GT there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Pics will come tomorrow I did not bring a laptop with me.

·
Save The Manuals
1999 Avalon XLS
1,837 Posts
While you're there, you should check out The Louvre as well.

·
There is no substitute.
7,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Moulin Rouge anyone? or Pigalle?
Google Pigalle and you'll read all the horror stories by people who were trying to have a fun night out in town and spend good part of their time regretting it. We spend some time reading and laughing at all the reviews of how people got stiffed with 800 euro bill by getting a bottle and a lap dance unwillingly at some empty club. Besides Moulin Rouge or any of those place require a minimum spend of 200 euro for a bottle of wine that probably cost 10 and we did not have dress pants and shoes so we couldn't go in anyhow. My buddy told me they're all overrated and he's from Montreal so he pretty much told me it's a big no from the get go and convinced me he knew they were huge tourist traps and the Pigalle district was way different from 10+ years ago in their glory period.

·
There is no substitute.
7,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And Paris is pretty damn overrated from what I've seen. Gypsies in the street begging or selling shitty Effiel tower toys. Everything is super expensive (9 euro for a pint of Heninken, 5 euro for an espresso at a cafe?!) even in French standards and service at restaurants is shit even in Canadian standard which is pretty damn low to begin with.

Romantic city my ass.

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo
19,832 Posts
And Paris is pretty damn overrated from what I've seen. Gypsies in the street begging or selling shitty Effiel tower toys. Everything is super expensive (9 euro for a pint of Heninken, 5 euro for an espresso at a cafe?!) even in French standards and service at restaurants is shit even in Canadian standard which is pretty damn low to begin with.

Romantic city my ass.
My friends who have visited there say the same things. They also said, the locals get pissy if you don't speak French.

·
Lost to follow up!
96 Camry Coupes
12,156 Posts
I've been told the French have a special dislike for Americans....I'm sure though not everyone feels that way

·
Save The Manuals
1999 Avalon XLS
1,837 Posts
From what I heard, they're polite if you make an effort to speak French and not seem arrogant. I guess it depends really.

1 - 20 of 823 Posts