Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m planning to tow a travel trailer (about 3500 lbs) with my 2016 Highlander XLE, and I already have the towing package (hitch, 4-pin wiring for lights). But my trailer will have electric brakes so I need additional wiring and brake controller installed. My understanding is that Toyota dealerships won’t do this work. I’m in the Toronto area- does anyone have any experience or recommendations on how I can reliably get this done?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I installed a 7 pin setup myself. I purchased my wiring kit through e-trailer. They also have really good videos showing how they route the wiring.

There are 2 options to get the necessary wires into the cabin of the vehicle, drill a hole in the firewall or go through a factory grommet on the passenger side firewall. There is a video on e-trailer showing both methods.

I drilled a hole in my firewall. The other method is less invasive but requires running 10 or 20 feet more of very expensive 10 gauge wire to avoid drilling that hole.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I installed a 7 pin setup myself. I purchased my wiring kit through e-trailer. They also have really good videos showing how they route the wiring.

There are 2 options to get the necessary wires into the cabin of the vehicle, drill a hole in the firewall or go through a factory grommet on the passenger side firewall. There is a video on e-trailer showing both methods.

I drilled a hole in my firewall. The other method is less invasive but requires running 10 or 20 feet more of very expensive 10 gauge wire to avoid drilling that hole.
I'm in the GTA as well and did the same method as above and drilled through the firewall. The worst was tapping the correct brake wire at the brake pedal. Everything else was easy

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My thanks to scipper77 and ohmygoodness1. This is very helpful and somewhat reassuring, although I don’t want to do the job myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts