Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mr Anxiety will be leaving his Camry at the Airport for 9 days and is concerned about it not starting when he gets back. The resting battery was 11.5volts yesterday morning after a cold Wisconsin night.. I charged it up which only took 30 minutes, and it was then 12.7volts. Disconnected the charger and left it overnight last night... 12.45 volts this morning... Just used my clamp meter to test the resting discharge and it is showing 0.4amps which I think is a lot ? Is it a lot ? If I slip the negative lead off at the airport, will that lose my transmission 'learned' settings ? ps Never a problem starting and I often leave it for 3 days...

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
9,008 Posts
.4 amp I believe is normal but I am not sure. If you unhook the battery everything will reset. How old is the battery? If it is rather old, I'd say swap it. It's 9 F as of posting this so does it start immediately or does it struggle?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
.4 amp I believe is normal but I am not sure. If you unhook the battery everything will reset. How old is the battery? If it is rather old, I'd say swap it. It's 9 F as of posting this so does it start immediately or does it struggle?
Original battery so mid 2016... It starts great..never had a problem... The 12.4 volts after resting last night was encouraging after the 11.5 the night before... My wife's 2008 Camry got an Autozone battery in 2014, and that it bursting with health and volts.... When I disconnect for a new battery, are the learned transmission settings lost instantly, or is there some little battery or big capacitor that hold the volts up to the computer for a minute or so while the new battery is installed ?

·
Registered
9,008 Posts
Original battery so mid 2016... It starts great..never had a problem... The 12.4 volts after resting last night was encouraging after the 11.5 the night before... My wife's 2008 Camry got an Autozone battery in 2014, and that it bursting with health and volts.... When I disconnect for a new battery, are the learned transmission settings lost instantly, or is there some little battery or big capacitor that hold the volts up to the computer for a minute or so while the new battery is installed ?
I believe it takes about 90 seconds for all settings to reset as this is used for removing the air bag. Though at times my radio presets have stayed after 90 seconds. Sometimes a fresh reset is needed sometimes so it might help you.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe it takes about 90 seconds for all settings to reset as this is used for removing the air bag. Though at times my radio presets have stayed after 90 seconds. Sometimes a fresh reset is needed sometimes so it might help you.
Ah thanks..I had it in my long term memory (my short term is fuzzy), that the computer would stay up long enough to drop a new battery in quickly... I have been married 3 times, so I take your point that a fresh reset can be beneficial anyway... I pulled the motherboard battery out of my desktop computer yesterday and re-entered the bios boot order etc...and it seems a lot faster now...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok further report: I took the negative lead off the battery and used my REAL cheapo multi-meter (with leads) to measure (instead of the fancy clamp meter). It came out at 140 milliamps....(0.14 amps). Happy with that. I was disconnected for say 25 seconds and my radio was totally reset and I had to answer the boot-up disclaimer stuff... and my English stations are lost from memory.. That's ok I only had about 4 stations preset...I don't use iphone etc... I don't know of any way to know if the transmission stuff is reset.. But the initial panic is over and I can live with 140 ma draw ..AND if I do get a bad start in the future, I know it isnt a fault in the 'standing' draw and I will know I need a new battery... The alternator is fine and shows 14.4V across the battery when the engine running... ps I believe it's called "the parasitic draw" which makes it sound like it's got worms...lol....

·
Registered
9,008 Posts
ok further report: I took the negative lead off the battery and used my REAL cheapo multi-meter (with leads) to measure (instead of the fancy clamp meter). It came out at 140 milliamps....(0.14 amps). Happy with that. I was disconnected for say 25 seconds and my radio was totally reset and I had to answer the boot-up disclaimer stuff... and my English stations are lost from memory.. That's ok I only had about 4 stations preset...I don't use iphone etc... I don't know of any way to know if the transmission stuff is reset.. But the initial panic is over and I can live with 140 ma draw ..AND if I do get a bad start in the future, I know it isnt a fault in the 'standing' draw and I will know I need a new battery... The alternator is fine and shows 14.4V across the battery when the engine running... ps I believe it's called "the parasitic draw" which makes it sound like it's got worms...lol....
Just gotta drive and feel. It'll learn by itself either way.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just gotta drive and feel. It'll learn by itself either way.
ok thanks.... I like to pull away smoothly without any jerk/clonk/zoom on the transmission, so I hope it become "at one" with me ... lol

·
Registered
241 Posts
Invest in a good compact battery booster like the NOCO GB boosters, throw it in the truck and enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
367 Posts
400mA would have been very high for a normal modern car, but it can vary a lot depending on how long that the car has been left sitting after the engine has been shut off and the doors closed for the last time.
I've actually tested cars that showed roughly the same reduction in current (from 400mA to 140mA) after an extended period of sitting, like 30-120 minutes, during which time the computers and modules have finally all gone to sleep into a lower steady state of draw.

I have left my 2015 Camry sitting for over a month with no problem starting it up, I'm thinking two months or so actually(!), so maybe no surprise that I found a thin layer of sludge in the oil filter housing when I changed the synthetic oil after 7200 miles(?).

Difficulties starting cars very often have to do with the battery clamps tightness and condition of the few inches of thick wire emerging from the clamps, which suffer from the corrosive gasses. Note that newer batteries out-gas less than older batteries, my 2015's battery clamps look crusty at only 23k miles.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Invest in a good compact battery booster like the NOCO GB boosters, throw it in the truck and enjoy your trip.
They are $295 at Amazon and a top end battery with a 5 year guarantee is $80 at Walmart.... I reckon the Boosters are great for businesses that start 4 cars every day... but for an individual who has a flopped battery every 5 years, not so much so...

Reactions: johnwill

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
9,008 Posts
Thanks. These are good options too.

But, you need to keep it charged . . .not a big problem, but must bear in mind . . .
It's a game of, it needs to be charged but it should also be discharged (used) every one in a while. I have one that I bought about two years ago that I have yet to use on my Camry. The only time I attempted to use it was on a Sunfire last year but I couldn't use it because side post batteries suck and the bolts holding the terminals were rusted so I just used jumper cables instead. Only had to jump their car about three times...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks. These are good options too.

But, you need to keep it charged . . .not a big problem, but must bear in mind . . .
Yes...the backup jump machine has lithium batteries and has to be kept charged...and then the 1 time in 5 years I need a jump start, the lithium batteries will have died of old age... Buying a spare top end battery for $80 from Wally sounds better.... Take it to the airport in the rear foot-well...(got jump leads).. and then keep it on the maintainer when I get home...and then use it when one of our two Camry batteries fail...

Reactions: johnwill
1 - 17 of 17 Posts