Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The High and the Low
85 SR5 4x4/88 GTS-16
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I changed the Alternater. (which is like playing tetris, backwards, with obsticles, and tobasco sauce in your eyes.) I changed the damaged link next to the battery. I took it for a spin around the block, everything seemed fairly normal, for three minutes. The car just stopped running, no backfires, no hesitation, just like it turned off. I tried to re-start it, and it would turn over, the gauges would come to life, but no fire. I walked home, and got my truck, so I could tow it back. When I got back, I tried to start it again, and it started, and ran for 30 seconds before shutting down again.

well, 24 hours later, I tried it again, and it started, and ran for another few minutes. then died.

I think the problem might be related to the fuse block below the kick panel next to the clutch panel. There's some corrosion, and the fuses don't seem to be snug. Does anyone have a fuse block replacement tutorial, and know where one can be aquired?

could this be somewhere else in the car?

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
I think aaron7 on this board had to get his fusebox replaced because of a similar problem, I suggest you give this a good look as it seems to be popping up as a problem with AE92s lately.

·
The High and the Low
85 SR5 4x4/88 GTS-16
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it was caused by a leaking clutch master

bringing moisture down to the fusebox. Does anyone know where to get one, Toyota wants $360.00 for it, because they won't sell it without the entire harness.

·
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
I'd say go to a junkyard and see what you can get, you might get lucky and get it cheap.

·
Danno
1989 corolla GT-S
1,502 Posts
lol toyota sucks for ae92 parts lol i cant believe how much they jack up the prices anyways good luck with your problem i havnt experienced* anything like this with mine yet lol

·
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
SR5s I find a lot.. GTS are too rare.. I've only seen 3 in my area, a black one, another red one, and a white one.. I feel like walking up to the owner of the red one and asking him to sell it to me. I pass him on the highway all the time on my way home. The white one I see him going the opposite way of me on the highway around the same time, I know where he lives as he had the car for sale before and no one bought it. The black one, some kid drives it around town, its got steelies and I think he beats it a lot so I wouldn't touch that one. :ugh3:

Someone on the board has a dead one for parts, I think he's down to the shell almost and I might take some more stuff from him. I already got his TRD shifter. :)

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
you think ae92 gts's are rare in yards? try aw11's....... s/c or not (have yet to even HEAR about an s/c in the yards around here)....

in any case, i've seen at least 20-30 ae92 gts's in yards in the past few years

·
Danno
1989 corolla GT-S
1,502 Posts
lol im just opposite about the aw11's their are alot of umm in my area junked out but yea i too havnt seen a S/c in the yards they crushed the last few GT-S's in the yards here (3 of them) and left all the Sr5's how ghey is that !!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've got 2 89 GTS parts cars that i will probably part out in this summer. It's just too cold right now to do any major work.

Anyways, when I was researching for my 20v install, there were a lot of people who had a problem with the motor running for a few seconds then shutting off. It seemed like the problem was that they had hooked up the circuit opening relay wrong. It needs a signal from the AFM or the engine will shut off.

I'm not sure if the 16v uses the same system but it might be worth checking out. The relay was located right beside the ECU on my car.

·
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
I found an AW11 in a yard like 5mins from my house before, opened the back and the motor was still there with the ECU looking right at me. Dunno why I never took parts from it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts