Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Hilux Surf
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently driving a Hilux Surf with the 2lt diesel engine. Just checked my batteries after I noticed my meter was showing low voltage, and turns out the plates are starting to go in one and the other is showing a little wear.

With this in mind was hoping to go with the Optima yellow top for both but I would like some other people's opinions on these batteries.

I was also wondering if it might be a good idea to upgrade my alternator, the current one that is on there now is a 12 volt, 60 amperes.

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
A higher output alternator is always a good upgrade.

·
Registered
1990 Hilux Surf
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A higher output alternator is always a good upgrade.
I've been told, but seeing as it is a diesel the largest electrical drains in the vehicle is the alarm and the sound system. Now a better question, knowing
this what would be a good upgrade to go to.

·
Registered
1990 Hilux Surf
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok so I added my new Yellowtop Optimas they work fine, but now back to the alternator. Would anybody know if a different alternator would fit that is better than 60 amps or would I need to make brackets for a separate alternator

EDIT:Also just to avoid a new thread anybody know the bulb types for the rear Licence plate light and interior cabin lights?

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
An 80A alt was available on some petrol models depending on trim level, etc. But IDK about diesels.

·
Registered
Toyota Hilux Surf
3 Posts
I know this is an old thread and by now you have probably found out that the alternator has a built in vacuum pump for the engine controls.

Something to consider when trying to upgrade.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts