Toyota Nation Forum banner

** Electronic Rear-view Mirror Defected? **

1430 27
Hi,

I need help please.
I bought the '21 Highlander Hybrid Platinum for my wife, and I barely drive it. Just recently, when I take it for a drive(at night), I look at the rear-view mirror, I notice the glaring/bursting star-like from other vehicles' headlamps on the rear-view mirror display. I've tried various adjustments on the mirror, still seeing the same effect. However, the display on the mirror when driving daytime is fine - no bursting star-like or glaring. For those whose vehicles equipped with the electronic rear-view mirror, can you please help me and tell me if yours displays the same? I'm wondering either the camera or the rear-view mirror display is defected, or this is simply just a case of a poor-quality camera that has no anti-glare? Please see pics att'd. I intentionally took few pics with oncoming vehicles(headlamps) from the other side to prove that the lens fr my phone camera is working fine...not the sharpest pics due to moving vehicles, but you can see the difference. Thank you!
Automotive lighting Light Automotive mirror Automotive design Automotive exterior
Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Asphalt Automotive design Road surface
Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive mirror
Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Infrastructure
Automotive lighting Light Automotive mirror Automotive design Automotive exterior
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Premium Member
4,246 Posts
I wonder if there's so much overhead lighting on that highway that the mirror thinks it's still daylight outside and isn't cutting down the other lights like it's supposed to.

Do you have the same experience on any other street at night?

· Registered
2021 Highlander Platinum Hybrid (ext: Blizzard Pearl / int: Glazed Caramel)
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder if there's so much overhead lighting on that highway that the mirror thinks it's still daylight outside and isn't cutting down the other lights like it's supposed to.

Do you have the same experience on any other street at night?
All streets -- whether they're pitched black or lit, the display is the same.

· Registered
2013 Camry XLE
3,239 Posts
Just a thought, but have you tried clean the rear camera lens real well ? I’ve noticed that dirty glass wether they are windows or lenses can produce that type of effect.

· Registered
181 Posts
Looks like lens flair. Lens flair can be kept under (reasonable) control with lens coatings and lens hoods. I don’t know if any of these cameras have any coatings and even if they do, I suspect anything like wax might nullify the effect of coatings.

· Premium Member
4,246 Posts
I'm glad the camera is outside on the Highlander and not looking through the glass. Keeping the glass clean in the winter is always very difficult; any kind of salt or dirty spray blows around the sides of the car and lands on the rear window. It's been really nice not worrying about how clean the glass is. Sometimes I'll get out and notice how bad the rear window looks, but it didn't even bother me because I don't have to look through that glass at all.

· Registered
175 Posts
Hi,

I need help please.
I bought the '21 Highlander Hybrid Platinum for my wife, and I barely drive it. Just recently, when I take it for a drive(at night), I look at the rear-view mirror, I notice the glaring/bursting star-like from other vehicles' headlamps on the rear-view mirror display. I've tried various adjustments on the mirror, still seeing the same effect. However, the display on the mirror when driving daytime is fine - no bursting star-like or glaring. For those whose vehicles equipped with the electronic rear-view mirror, can you please help me and tell me if yours displays the same? I'm wondering either the camera or the rear-view mirror display is defected, or this is simply just a case of a poor-quality camera that has no anti-glare? Please see pics att'd. I intentionally took few pics with oncoming vehicles(headlamps) from the other side to prove that the lens fr my phone camera is working fine...not the sharpest pics due to moving vehicles, but you can see the difference. Thank you! View attachment 405768 View attachment 405769 View attachment 405770 View attachment 405771 View attachment 405768 View attachment 405769 View attachment 405770 View attachment 405771 View attachment 405768 View attachment 405769 View attachment 405770 View attachment 405771
Give me regular mirror and can electronic mirrors and back up cameras, i can back box truck.into hole with 2 side mirrors. People today have list ability to drive without lane change aids cameras and warning beepers. Sad freaking day. Most under 40 cannot drive a manual, sad freaking day. If america goes to war we will lose unless it is on video screens

· Registered
170 Posts
We did OK before all these tech features were around, but one does get used to them and misses them when they're gone or not working right. Plus, you paid for them, so they should work properly, even if you can get by without them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts