Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon, I have a 1983 Toyota 4X4 short bed pickup. Today when I went out to start it there was a clicking noise heard from inside the cab. Well I did some investigation and found a relay located inside the engine compartment on the right side fender to be the culprit. It's labeled emission relay on the outside of it and has two snap togeter connectors coming out of the bottom, what is this relay for? I disconnected it and tried to start the truck and it started right up. I dont want to drive down the road and find out later it was very important. My books don't say anything on this relay, please help.

·
Benwill1
80's toys
125 Posts
I need to do some checking..but I believe there is a temp sensor in the cat. When it is hot enough, it starts the air injection sytem to the exhaust manifold. The system doesn't always inject...other things have to be "right" also. I do not believe it will keep the truck from running.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, but here is the kicker, mine does not have a O2 sensor in the catalytic converter and does not have a air injection pump. I can find no wiring for the O2 sensor. The valve is located on the front of the intake maifold but has no connection where the air pump would connect. It does have a vacuum line connected to it and functions. I'm starting to wonder if this may be a federal emissions vehicle as the vehicle came from Washington state.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had a similar occurance with that thing just the other day... THe code illuminated is for worn alternator brushes, and increasingly I am getting clicks instead of starting, sometimes four or five, and then it usually rolls over. It didn't the other day, and after trying to roll it to start, I found myself all the way at the bottom of my drive and still no start. The thing that makes this relative is, this one time the other day, in which the truck just wouldn't start, the emissions gimmick you described started whining upon turning on the accesories. It would fluctuate its whine as I jostled it under the hood. I jumped the truck with a portable battery, and it started right up, the emissions device has not whined since, but the hesitant starting and clicking is still an issue. I will put new brushes in, and if it works, I'll chalk it up to a battery not getting charged properly, occasionally, and the whine from the emissions device, was just what it did that time it had that certain amount of power to just barely not function, hence the struggling sound. Unplugging it that day, obviously stopped the whining for the moment, but didn't start the engine, and the whine came back when I re-plugged it. ALso, I removed the cat, there were no sensors or wires on it. I don't really have a question here, just sort of babbling actually, but it was strange you posted that, because I was going to, just to figure out WTF it was for.

·
Benwill1
80's toys
125 Posts
wudshpr...is yours just clicking when you try to start it?? It's prob the contacts in the solinoid on the starter.

KJVforme..there is a relay for a heater under the intake manifold...maybe that's what it's for??

·
Registered
91 Posts
yeah it just clicks, usually in wetter whether, I reach down and jiggle the power connection, I would assume you are referring to the brushes inside the starter motor when you say contacts? I havent tried replacing them, or anything for that matter yet, but it would make sense. Thank you.

·
Benwill1
80's toys
125 Posts
Not the brushes...the contacts are under the cover on the solinoid. It's the lugs where you hook the battery wire, the small wire, and wire to the starter.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Turns out, I the cable that runs from the battery to the starter was corroded and slipping out of the fitting at the battery end. Somebody had wrapped elec. tape around it instead of taking it out and cleaning it, and re-securing it. The battery is still dying fast, and the brake/charge combo has indicated a need for brushes or other alternator work, since I bought the truck almost fifteen thousand miles ago. SO its off to buy a multi-meter and go over the system. So you were right man, thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts