Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Various Toyotas
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Get some pop rivets and thin aluminum bar stock, like 1/16th. Take the stock and make a 'skeleton' on the back side of the fender liner affixed with pop rivets. I've worked on some older luxury cars which had a hard plastic ribbing behind the liner to make sure it stayed in place, it's really common to see thicker ridges on large belly pans too. With an aluminum framework to support it, it'll be fine. Only worth it on the new one though.
If I did that, wouldn't the wind still push the whole thing back into the tire? Or do you mean to then hook up something (like a zip tie) to the aluminum bar and secure it to something forward of there?

·
Various Toyotas
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
^^Will give it a try when I have nothing better to do.

Just saw a Gen 9 in a parking lot today with no inserts in the empty fog light hole. I checked the liner and it was fine, so it's got something to do with my car? :dunno:

Anyway, I'll report back when I've done the mod job to the replacement liner I have for the passenger side.

·
Various Toyotas
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
You may be missing the clips on the cover for the bottom and the side. The fender liner is flexing too much.

I grabbed some Philips screw clips from a 7th gen Corolla and they are solid. Just a PIA to remove when doing service maintenance.

They are on the trunk lid and I don't have a PN.
I'm pretty sure I got all the screws and the clips, but what you're saying makes sense, so I will double-check to make sure I didn't miss any.

·
Token Aussie
1998 AE102, 2018 ZRE182
2,115 Posts
You may be missing the clips on the cover for the bottom and the side. The fender liner is flexing too much.

I grabbed some Philips screw clips from a 7th gen Corolla and they are solid. Just a PIA to remove when doing service maintenance.

They are on the trunk lid and I don't have a PN.
The 7th gens should have a cross-brace for the bumper and a screw for the liner right where that hole is developing actually

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Various Toyotas
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
On the inside of the fender liner may be a hidden clip in between the wheel arch and the middle piece. I will check mine and report back John.
Please do, that would be appreciated.

The 7th gens should have a cross-brace for the bumper and a screw for the liner right where that hole is developing actually

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I'm not sure if the Gen 9 has this. I don't think so, but will check it out next weekend. Thanks for trying to help.

There's no x brace. It's 3 pieces. 2 fender and the middle section under the oil pan. The fender pieces are connected to the middle section but not in the fender. Those are attached to the chassis.

Here's a thought. Is your air spat missing?
Sorry......but I don't know what part you are referencing here. Can you explain that or show me a photo? Thanks for trying to help, btw.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,694 Posts
John, I see where the issue is. There's 2 10mm bolts and clips on the under side of the bumper. This clip sandwiches the fender liner and the bumper. Yours are probably broken or not securing the fender liner to the bumper. The clip has a notch for the fender liner.

Lmk if you need better shots.

I don't have the air spat. Inside of the liner is a piece of metal and is threaded for the additional 10mm hardware. It's an anchor of sorts.

There's 4 pieces of liner. The 2 pieces that shield the bottom of the engine are only attached by 1 clip on the bottom. Inside the wheel well, there's 2 10mm bolts and 1 clip attaching it to the chassis.

On this last image, the clip goes towards the bumper side. 1 clip and 2 10mm bolts in a line.

As for the cross brace, I don't see one.

·
Various Toyotas
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Is this piece protruding down with the white arrow pointing to it what you mean by "air spat"?:
Also, I do have those two screws with the clips into which the fender liner fits. I have those circled in green.

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,832 Posts
Assuming all clips and bolts are in, and there is no obvious damage to the liners (bowed out), your problem could be blown struts/weak springs causing excessive suspension travel.

·
Various Toyotas
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Assuming all clips and bolts are in, and there is no obvious damage to the liners (bowed out), your problem could be blown struts/weak springs causing excessive suspension travel.

Thanks for replying. With 368K miles, I still have the original struts. The thing is that they do not show any signs of being worn out (other than the accordion boot is all torn up). My tires do not wear unevenly and I'm not getting excessive or unusual bounce. The car rides normally, like any other car.

Upon taking a closer look last night with the front of the car on jackstands, I noticed there are some questionable items, including a couple of missing clips for the other shield and one for the fender liner. I snapped photos and will try to post those later (didn't have time last night). I'm wondering if I have never had a certain splash shield since I purchased the car years ago when it had 39K miles and if it is because of that reason that air is being pushed against the liner.

Will get back to all of you with those photos and info.

Yeah that's the air spat.

Not sure how air is causing the fender liner to flop with the speed of travel.
I saw a couple of missing clips (one for one of the other shields and one for the fender liner (but doesn't look to me that it would cause this problem). I also think I'm missing a major splash shield, but I'm not sure. I will post some photos of this, as it would be really difficult to describe where these are without photos to help you see what I'm talking about. I'm working long days, but will try to do this tonight or the following night.

I really appreciate everyone's help, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,694 Posts
The middle sections are in 2 pieces. The fender liner is only attached with 1 clip on either side and is in line with the 10 mm bolt in the back of the bumper.

The middle section also acts as a shield for the fender liner. Middle section is first and then the fender liner goes on top of it.

Hope this makes more sense.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,694 Posts
Is this piece protruding down with the white arrow pointing to it what you mean by "air spat"?:
Also, I do have those two screws with the clips into which the fender liner fits. I have those circled in green.

I just checked my fender liner, and see the gap is smaller than yours.

·
Various Toyotas
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
I just checked my fender liner, and see the gap is smaller than yours.
Do you mean this gap shown with the red arrows in the photo below?

Here's a shield that is missing a clip. The hole through which a clip/plug should go through is circled in red and the blue arrow is pointing to where it is supposed to be fastened to the car and what's left of the deteriorated clip/plug. I didn't think so, but do any of you think this could contribute to air being pushed against the fender liner?

Here's the screw and clip on the lower driver side. I see how I didn't fully line up the hole in the fender with the screw & clip (red arrow). Again, I wouldn't think so but do any of you think this contributes to the problem?:

Here it is from the ground looking up at it:

Here's the one hole I failed to fasten on the bumper cover and another from the only other shield that is under the car (both with red arrows). Does this contribute to the problem?

Lastly, am I missing a huge shield in this lower area between the bottom of the bumper and the bottom of the condenser support? Is this the source of the air pushing against the fender liner? My car has never had a shield at this area since I bought it used:

·
Various Toyotas
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
There was never a shield that covered the radiator area.

The way it's installed is solid.
John, inspect your replacement liners to see if the same spot is warped or tweaked.

Is the liner tucked into the inside frame of the fender and bumper? That's the only side I can think of that can cause the liner to be loose.
[Edit:] So, that area (from below the bumper to below the condenser support) is supposed to be open?.....which means I'm not missing any shield there? Yes, the hole is in the same spot as the previous liner. Yes, the liner was tucked inside the lip of the fender/bumper with the fasteners at that area secure. The only things I can think to do are to get another liner from the junkyard (if I can find one in good shape) and try this again and make sure I have ALL fasteners in their places and that the liner is positioned correctly at that one spot where it was slightly off (I don't think that was it, though).

21 - 40 of 65 Posts