Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,832 Posts
There is no way your struts are still good at that age and mileage.

·
Various Toyotas
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
There is no way your struts are still good at that age and mileage.
I was waiting for someone to say that (thanks hardtopte72). The only thing I can think of that made me think my struts were fine is that I have become used to the gradual decrease in the struts' ability to perform properly and just haven't noticed since it was a gradual abatement. It's not like they failed all at once.

Well.....after spending time at the junkyard this weekend for various things, I finally found a driver's side fender liner that wasn't all torn up. I'm going to install this after I get all the correct fasteners and I'll make sure all fasteners are in place. If another hole develops, then I will replace my front struts. I'm thinking about going with KYB "strut plus" assemblies. How does that sound?

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,832 Posts
I'm not personally a fan of quick struts.

On my vehicles I use:

KYB struts (Excel G)
OEM strut mounts (either from dealer or reuse if good)
OEM strut mount bearings (not all Toyotas use these)
Aftermarket bellows

This obviously requires using a "widow maker" spring compressor or taking the struts somewhere for disassembly and reassembly.

The only reason I would consider a quick strut for your situation is that your springs are likely also toast. If you aren't considering new Toyota coil springs, then a quick strut is a much better option. I just wouldn't be shocked if you develop clunks, premature mount failure, or broken springs.

·
Various Toyotas
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Fixed!

Make sure you have some push pin retainers for some of the holes that are up in the fender well, this will keep it from sagging onto the wheel in some spots.
check to see if you are missing the plastic clip behind the wheel. There's 2 10mm bolts and the farthest one is a plastic clip.
You may be missing the clips on the cover for the bottom and the side. The fender liner is flexing too much.
Assuming all clips and bolts are in, and there is no obvious damage to the liners.
I just checked my fender liner, and see the gap is smaller than yours.
I got another fender liner from the junkyard and this time I made sure that not a single fastener was missing, including one that is at the farthest part in the front that attaches to another shield. I also made sure that the fasteners were installed correctly and not leaving gaps as was previously the case.

I have driven well over 600 highway miles since then and my fender liner is fine. It appears the problem was not having ALL of the fasteners in place and having some gaps due to incorrect fitment of the fasteners.

·
Swiftly
71 Posts
Australian delivered ZZE-122 Ascent came with fog light blanking fillers.
Australian delivered ZZE-122 Conquest came with fog lights
I've had no brake heating/fade issues.

The push in plastic clips for the under body splash guards and wheel arch liners go brittle with age and fail.

I have found it easier to remove the splash guards/plastic clips for the Auto Trans Torque Converter flush, replacing broken clips is common. When I removed the front bumper to replace the headlights had to replace plastic clips. Removed the under guard liner section to enable manual crank rotation when checking cam to valve bucket clearances, needed some new plastic clips then to.

<$5 for a bag of new clips from China with free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/50x-Fender-Bumper-Splashguard-Retainer-Moulding-Clip-90467-07164-for-Toyota-/132274206524?hash=item1ecc28373c
- 50x Fender Bumper Splashguard Retainer Moulding Clip 90467-07164 for Toyota

Visit the wreckers for the extra screws and retainers, problem is the screws are typically rusted up, I put marine grease on the screws when I put them back.

Suggest you should get your suspension tested on the vehicle before you replace the four struts and then again after the you have replaced the four (4) struts. Make sure they give you the oscillation graph trace for each strut that you can measure the amplitude and settle/damping time with and keep the record for future test comparison. When you have the new ones installed get the tests done again this gives you the as new benchmark from which to measure future deterioration.

When you remove your shock's suggest that there is every chance that when you compress them, they will not return to full extension. If they do return, compress them & measure the time to return to full extension. You can also measure the kg of applied pressure required to compress them/keep them compressed.

With the new ones before you install them in the car, compress them measure the return to extension time & also measure the kg of applied pressure required to compress them/keep them compressed.

For my ZZE-122 Wagon, none of the struts were leaking but handling had degraded, particularly over suburban traffic calming speed humps, replaced all four (4) struts at 210,000 kms the change in handling performance was stark. Particularly under emergency braking with wet roads. KYB EXCEL G's produced a good outcome, in hind sight should have replaced the four (4) struts at 190,000kms.

Rob

·
Various Toyotas
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Australian delivered ZZE-122 Ascent came with fog light blanking fillers.
Australian delivered ZZE-122 Conquest came with fog lights
I've had no brake heating/fade issues.

The push in plastic clips for the under body splash guards and wheel arch liners go brittle with age and fail.

I have found it easier to remove the splash guards/plastic clips for the Auto Trans Torque Converter flush, replacing broken clips is common. When I removed the front bumper to replace the headlights had to replace plastic clips. Removed the under guard liner section to enable manual crank rotation when checking cam to valve bucket clearances, needed some new plastic clips then to.

<$5 for a bag of new clips from China with free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/50x-Fender-Bumper-Splashguard-Retainer-Moulding-Clip-90467-07164-for-Toyota-/132274206524?hash=item1ecc28373c
- 50x Fender Bumper Splashguard Retainer Moulding Clip 90467-07164 for Toyota

Visit the wreckers for the extra screws and retainers, problem is the screws are typically rusted up, I put marine grease on the screws when I put them back.

Suggest you should get your suspension tested on the vehicle before you replace the four struts and then again after the you have replaced the four (4) struts. Make sure they give you the oscillation graph trace for each strut that you can measure the amplitude and settle/damping time with and keep the record for future test comparison. When you have the new ones installed get the tests done again this gives you the as new benchmark from which to measure future deterioration.

When you remove your shock's suggest that there is every chance that when you compress them, they will not return to full extension. If they do return, compress them & measure the time to return to full extension. You can also measure the kg of applied pressure required to compress them/keep them compressed.

With the new ones before you install them in the car, compress them measure the return to extension time & also measure the kg of applied pressure required to compress them/keep them compressed.

For my ZZE-122 Wagon, none of the struts were leaking but handling had degraded, particularly over suburban traffic calming speed humps, replaced all four (4) struts at 210,000 kms the change in handling performance was stark. Particularly under emergency braking with wet roads. KYB EXCEL G's produced a good outcome, in hind sight should have replaced the four (4) struts at 190,000kms.

Rob
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the link for the clips. I had ordered these clips: [ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UPVRMM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame], but they turned out to not fit anywhere on the fender liner, despite what the description says.

I had a case of various plastic clips/fasteners that a family member gave me for Christmas and after making sure that the liner was installed correctly with no improper gaps and with ALL clips/fasteners properly in place, I have not had any problem with the liner developing a hole because of being pushed into the tire. It's been well over 2K miles (3200 km) with a majority of that being highway miles and all is well. I still have the original struts. The problem was the clips/fasteners.

Perhaps I do need new struts/springs because of having 372K miles, but I'll wait until it starts showing symptoms or until I have a briefcase full of hundred dollar bills to burn.

Reactions: 75aces

·
Swiftly
71 Posts
Pleased the extra clips solved the Wheel Arch Liner rubbing for you, I'd think the fog light blankings will also reduce the wind loading on the wheel arch liner, making it less likely to snap the brittle liner clips.

Rob

·
Various Toyotas
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Pleased the extra clips solved the Wheel Arch Liner rubbing for you, I'd think the fog light blankings will also reduce the wind loading on the wheel arch liner, making it less likely to snap the brittle liner clips.

Rob
Agreed.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,703 Posts
See post #45 for the fix.

My driver's fender liner had a big hole in it and it would make noise on the freeway as air rushed through the hole. It has gotten worse over time, so I replaced the fender liner and a few days later a hole has developed in the same spot (not as big as the first one). Here's a photo. It looks like the tire is touching the fender liner but it is not.

The only thing I can think of is that air is coming in through the empty space in which a fog light insert panel would be. Here's a photo of that:

This car was never equipped with fog lights, and when I bought the car at 39K miles it did not have any insert panels where the fog lights would be. Is it possible that air coming in through the fog light space is blowing a hole through the fender liner? I never thought of it until now, but it is the only explanation I can think of. The passenger side has no fender liner at all, and I was planning on putting one in, but I'm concerned a hole will develop there as well. I'm just looking for anyone who has heard of this problem or who knows enough about wind physics to confirm if my theory is correct.

What do you think? Is a fog light insert panel what I need to get before replacing the fender liner again?
@John Anthony last night I noticed not 1, but 2 holes in my driver's side fender liner. It is much higher than your image, but in the approximate area.

Not sure how the holes were made, but it's there. I am going to experiment with some duct tape to cover the holes and see how it holds up. Doubt it will last long. Lol.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Oh yeah, mines are completely gone. I have the new liners but I haven’t gotten new clips to install it yet. I found it was the wind blowing on the fender and flexes enough to hit the tire. I think it’s the fender clip on the back side that needs to be replaced if it’s missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Various Toyotas
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
@John Anthony last night I noticed not 1, but 2 holes in my driver's side fender liner. It is much higher than your image, but in the approximate area.

Not sure how the holes were made, but it's there. I am going to experiment with some duct tape to cover the holes and see how it holds up. Doubt it will last long. Lol.
A photo would be great. It may very well be the same problem I had.

Oh yeah, mines are completely gone.
I have the new liners but I haven’t gotten new clips to install it yet. I found it was the wind blowing on the fender and flexes enough to hit the tire. I think it’s the fender clip on the back side that needs to be replaced if it’s missing.
Do you have the fog light insert panels, fog lights, or just an empty hole? If the empty fog light hole, then you definitely need to get the inserts first before installing the new liners. Make sure ALL clips are installed and are properly fastening the liner and splash shields in place. This was key for me resolving the problem in addition to the inserts.

Also make sure you have the "air spat" attached to the liner. Here it is below in the photo with the white arrow. I don't know exactly why the air spat is there, but the engineers wanted it there for a good reason I'm sure, and that reason possibly could be to keep the fender liner in position and not flex into the tire.

·
Various Toyotas
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I can tell by the wear marks in your photo above that they are definitely holes worn from the inside by the tire. Probably air blowing against the liner and it's flexing into the tire, and also because you might have some clips that are missing or no longer doing their job. I can't remember if I also had that hole at the top like you have there. That makes me think what hardtopte72 thought about the struts being worn. That would cause the top part of the liner to rub against the tire. If you're struts are good (as was the case with mine) then it's got to be a problem with the clips (assuming you have inserts or a fog light in place).

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,703 Posts
I can tell by the wear marks in your photo above that they are definitely holes worn from the inside by the tire. Probably air blowing against the liner and it's flexing into the tire, and also because you might have some clips that are missing or no longer doing their job. I can't remember if I also had that hole at the top like you have there. That makes me think what hardtopte72 thought about the struts being worn. That would case the top part of the liner to rub against the tire. If you're struts are good (as was the case with mine) then it's got to be a problem with the clips (assuming you have inserts or a fog light in place).
I dunno about worn struts. They seem ok. Dry and no visible signs of leaking.

Mr. Watson, you are correct. The clips are no longer holding up and flaps in the wind like paper. I have fog lights in place. It was only discovered on Saturday when I was draining my transmission fluid.

·
Various Toyotas
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Well, it wasn't so "elementary" for me in the beginning until I figured it out! Let us know how it goes.

·
Various Toyotas
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I will leave as is for now. With this covid going around, the gov is likely to put back stay at home orders again in under 30 days. I'm going to look for some clips at home and plug it up with duct tape.
Use alcohol or some kind of residue-free degreaser before applying tape.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts