Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1994 5S-FYOU!
1994 Toyota Camry
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys...

I am going out of town tomorrow morning, but I wanted to post this up and see if I got any responses when I come back :thumbsup:

The Problem: My 1994 5s-fe gave me trouble starting about an hour ago. It has a few minor modifications i/h/e, timing, tuning, etc. I went to start it up after it sat in about 50-60 degree temp for about 5 hours.

The engine cranked, then stumbled, then started but dragged at a low rpm for a couple seconds.

So I shut it off and when I took out the key the noise of the engine cranking kept on going by itself, had no idea what that was!

Then I turned her on again, with some slight hesitation, but it turned over alright with seemingly normal rpm's.

When I popped the hood everything looked normal.

I heard a loud vaccuum sucking noise coming from the area where the head and tranny meet (or close to), that confused me. Checked all vitals though, and no ripped/cracked hoses or holes in anything!

The second problem I noticed was the smell. Smelt like burnt rubber almost, maybe closer to a hose or liquid? It was fairly strong.

After I ran it for about a couple miles it felt completely normal, shifted well, no stumbling, no stutter, and drove well. The sucking sound also went away.

Some things to be noted: Oil was changed less than 500 miles ago, was seafoamed late january, plugs are less than a year old, battery is new, & all fluids are full and clean.

Any help on what to look for when I get back from being out of town on sunday would be great!!!

:thumbsup:

·
1994 5S-FYOU!
1994 Toyota Camry
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:bump:

I'm going to seafoam her and retard the timing a little today since I am off of work.

BUT if that doesn't work I still need help!

Anyone ever had any problem like this before?

Or just suggestions on what to look for??

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
Would look at the starter and starter solenoid first.

The engine should not keep turning over when the ign key is off.

The starter solenoid could be sticking, there are some electrical contacts inside the can fuse together.

The burn odor could be from the overheated solenoid.

·
O-Dark-30
93 Camry Le
409 Posts
hmm

Need to check that the starter sense wire and the battery positive cable going to the starter are not shorted against eachother or with any other surface. Sounds like it could have shorted and melted down some wires somewhere under the hood. This would account for the continuous start condition as well as the burning rubber or plastic smell.

·
1994 5S-FYOU!
1994 Toyota Camry
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would look at the starter and starter solenoid first.

The engine should not keep turning over when the ign key is off.

The starter solenoid could be sticking, there are some electrical contacts inside the can fuse together.

The burn odor could be from the overheated solenoid.

Thanks toyo, I'll give it a look.

Need to check that the starter sense wire and the battery positive cable going to the starter are not shorted against eachother or with any other surface. Sounds like it could have shorted and melted down some wires somewhere under the hood. This would account for the continuous start condition as well as the burning rubber or plastic smell.
This sounds like the most likely culprit. My battery terminal cables have been giving me endless crap ever since I got the car.

Thanks guys, gotta check em both out.

Oh and it did start up fine today after one false start. Meaning I turned the ign all the way and heard one "click" and got nothing, turned it again and the engine powered up fine.

Sounds like something could have shortened out a cable, thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts