Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Highlander Hybrid Limited
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering installing an Engine Block Heater, probably a Kat's 11813 if I can confirm that it fits, in my 2018 HH. The car didn't have any problem starting in its first Minnesota winter last year, and I don't expect any this season, but it does seem to take forever to warm up, and especially to warm up the cabin.

I've been monitoring engine coolant temperature with an OBDLink MX+ and find that after 5 miles the coolant may only be up to about 140F, well below the normal operating range of 180-190F. This is lately when the ambient temperature is in the 30s and 40s. I can only guess that when the coolant is this cool there isn't much circulation so it's hard to warm up the cabin.

Other cars that I've had, especially a Honda and a Subaru (non-hybrids) typically pumped out hot air within about a mile and also indicated normal operating temperature.

Can anyone report their experiences with an EBH and the effect that it had getting the engine to normal operating temperature sooner and especially heating the passenger compartment?

Thanks very much,
Mel

·
Registered
2018 Highlander Hybrid Limited
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I searched before posting. While I'm new to this forum, I have a very long and active history with other forums and do search before posting.

I'm specifically interested in people that have installed EBHs in 3rd gen Highlanders and also in Hybrids.

Thanks,
Mel

1 - 3 of 3 Posts