Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Avalon Limited. One of the driving changes I have experienced when compared to previous owned vehicles, is the Avalons inability to coast when you take your foot off the accelerator. You can feel the engines back pressure (braking) slowing the vehicle down, very much like you are applying very light pressure to the brake peddle. This happens at all speeds. Whether you're traveling 35 mph or 70. I do understand there is greater engine braking when you are traveling at highway speed.

Again, it's such a large difference from prior vehicles, otherwise I wouldn't think anything of it. Has anyone else noticed this difference?

Thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
My '05 never does this, it coasts extremely smooth.
Unless I have the car in the "manual" shifting mode and leave it in a low gear.

What does your tachometer look like when this is happening?
I'll double check but I think when I'm at a cruising speed and I let off the gas the tach drops down around idle range.

If your car is keeping the RPM's up high after you let off the gas then you probably have some kind of problem with like a sensor or maybe a vacuum line somewhere.

·
Registered
08 Avalon
61 Posts
i noticed this problem on my 08 XLS when i first got it
at first i didn't think of it as a big problem coz i thought its a common thing on toyotas
its my first toyota so i thought its normal that jap cars don't coast
and i thought it was a safety feature since the brakes on the avy feels so soft the engine braking does help
so is this an issue that i should mention to my dealer when i go for my first check up?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fake-usa, I'm driving a different car at the moment. I let you know on the RPM thing in a couple days.

If I were to shift in to neutral, say at 45 mph, coasting is effortless. Very much like previous cars. But to coast in "drive", it's like there is hurricane force head wind or driving up hill. Still very smooth.

Here is another notable item. When coasting, the transmission switches gears to what appears to be a higher gear (which coasts more effortlessly) at about 22 mph. When it shifts gears at that point, the car will shudder briefly then coast freely.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Here is another notable item. When coasting, the transmission switches gears to what appears to be a higher gear (which coasts more effortlessly) at about 22 mph. When it shifts gears at that point, the car will shudder briefly then coast freely.
Now THAT sounds like a problem. Get it checked out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don'tknow if my car is doing the same thing,b ut whenI coast to a stop the brake pedal will sometmes "pushback" and make me depress it even harder. I notice the rpm's spike also, Is this an issue

·
Aspiring Genius
27 Posts
I asked my dealer about that engine braking, he said its goofy, but its by design...its what helps the car get the MPG. My mechanic says some of the Lexus programming is worse. We have an ES 350 and the 6-speed doesnt have the same level of braking, but its similar enough to not make me feel the Avy has a problem. Also, the ES gets slightly worse gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
It is a safety feature as mentioned
engine breaking

the idea is to slow down the car and gives more braking power. I think this feature only apply to newer toyota, my 04 sienna does the same thing but my 97 Camry

It's not a problem, that's for sure. No need to worry about it

·
Love the Open Road!
Corolla/Tundra
147 Posts
I thought I'd chime in. With my '08 Ltd. I do not have any engine braking at highway speeds. The only time it does that is at low speeds when I'm slowing down for a stop and using my brakes. If I want to have any engine braking I have to downshift.

·
It Wasn't Me
11 Avalon Limited
676 Posts
I can coast just fine on an even road like a highway. I have noticed the car down shifts when going down a hill if i let off the gas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2005 Avalon Limited. One of the driving changes I have experienced when compared to previous owned vehicles, is the Avalons inability to coast when you take your foot off the accelerator. You can feel the engines back pressure (braking) slowing the vehicle down, very much like you are applying very light pressure to the brake peddle. This happens at all speeds. Whether you're traveling 35 mph or 70. I do understand there is greater engine braking when you are traveling at highway speed.

Again, it's such a large difference from prior vehicles, otherwise I wouldn't think anything of it. Has anyone else noticed this difference?

Thanks!
My 06 Limited does the same thing. Dealer didn't notice anything when they test drove it. Can't be good for mileage but, given the soggy braking needed, it may help the right leg.:naughty:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts