Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a brand new 06 Speedway Blue Tacoma double cab with the TRD sport package. And I was wondering does anyone have any idea of how long do I have to drive to break in the truck? And how fast can I go and not go? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Johnny

·
Registered
984 Posts
just drive it. Every car I have ever purchased I broke in like I planned on driving them. Like in my 05' S4 they say don't go over 3500 rpm for the first 1000 miles. The first thing I did when I took delivery was stomp on it when I left the dealership, and drove it hard ever since. It doesn't burn oil like many people have occured and it runs stronger than most of the S4's I have been around at the track. Just my 2 cents though.

·
And My Dog Remington
725 Posts
I was told not to go over 60 for the first 200 miles... but that is suicide on the highway here around DC. Drive at different speeds and RPMs for the first 500 miles. This will ensure everything is "seated" properly. That is what I have done. When on the highway and crusing... I would drop it into 4th and run it at a higher rpm for a while then back into OD. I plan on changing the oil around 1000 miles to remove the metal filings and switch to Mobil 1 syn.

·
Seattle Seahawks Rule
2005 Toyota Tacoma
222 Posts
read you owners manual

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think your speed isn't as important as your RPMs. I have 700 miles on mine, and I'm still driving around like a grandpa, for the most part. Occasionally I'll step into it a bit and get the RPMs up to around 3, but I haven't yet gone over that.

When I drove it home from the dealership, I was driving between 65 - 75 MPH on the highway, but my RPMs were only hanging around the 2 mark. So the engine wasn't working too hard.

I agree that it's important to drive at different speeds. So don't use your cruise control for a while.

I plan to keep my original oil in for 3,000 miles, dump it and start with Mobil1 (probably). It'll be weird because I've always used Valvoline, but I've heard lots of good comments about Mobil1.

·
Official Misfit
1,453 Posts

·
Tennessee Tacoma Pilot
Honda VFR800 & Taco
217 Posts
This is another alternative method that I used in a modified state. I calmed it down a little but stuck to the basic premises. I used it on a few motorcycles and got good long term results also.
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

·
Registered
223 Posts
What Nicky9 said. No sustained driving at high speed for the first 1k miles. Vehicles in the last 20 years or so don't have to be baby broke in like their elders. Prolonged speed or jackrabbit abuse will logically not allow the parts to "wear-in" evenly.

Just remember Toyota Tacomas aren't invincible, they just seem that way. :thumbsup: I've owned many new automobiles, broke them in driving conservatively and they all rolled over 100k with little mechanical work. I also changed the oil at 1k and every 4k thereafter, did preventive maintainance (belts, brakes, lubrication, etc). The 1998 Ford 150 I sold about a month ago had 134,000 miles on the odometer, and the 6cyl still purred.

·
Geekmaster 5000
26 Posts
I have drove my Tacoma hard since day one and have no problems. changed my oil at 2000 miles(little late) with synthetic and its runs like a bat out a hell pulls hard thru all gears no smoke no knock just smooth runnin' I have about 4500 miles on it now and wont slow down.

btw I did the same with my 96 taco 2.7l and NEVER had a problem.

SOOOO.... drive it like you will always drive it. PERIOD...

·
Tacoholic
343 Posts
If driving slow and careful is so important, then why do they let you test drive vehicles to test performance? ? ?

·
Givin' the dog a bone
Tacoma
125 Posts
Drive...it...like...you...stole...it...!!! :naughty:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts