Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question on my faithful '96 V6 4WD Tacoma (98K miles bought new and completely stock).

Today while I was driving, Check Engine Lamp started blinking for about 20 seconds and stayed on. When this happened, I felt something wrong with engine rpm. It was just like lost one cylinder or dirty fuel filter. Acceleration was not smooth and engine rpm became unstable at red right and died.

But after few minutes of driving, the trouble disappeared like nothing happened(engine light is still on).

Does anyone have any idea on possible cause of this or which parts should I check first?

Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
A blinking Check Engine Light doesn't sound good...

Since the light came on, the computer stored one or more diagnostic trouble codes (DTC codes) that will indicate the nature of the problem. A dealer can read them, or usually your local auto parts store will read them for free, hoping to sell you some parts.

Find out what the codes are and then search this forum for them and/or post them. Lots of helpful folks here will help you figure out what's up.

·
This Space For Rent
14,150 Posts
Go to an AutoZone and have them pull the code for you for free. Come back here and post your code and then we'll try to figure it out with you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Diagnose Code

Thank you both. Good advice.

I went to Auto Zone and the code was P0306 (#6 cylinder misfire).
So I assume I should check the wiring and spark plug (changed a year ago) of cylinder # 6. Any other thing I should check?

Is # 6 is the one closest to the driver seat?

Thank you.

·
Offical TN Hillbilly
2002 Silverado
1,757 Posts
Could be an ignition problem or a fuel problem. #6 is drivers rear cyl. Check the plug, plug wire, coil pack and injector.

To check the spark issue swap a coil pack from another cyl. Do not move the plug or plug wire. You want to isolate things. It moves to the other cyl you have a bad coil pack. If it stays the problem is somewhere else. The same can be done for the fuel injector. Swap the #6 with an injector from another cyl.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I will try tomorrow.

I remember when I replaced original plugs, I saw some rust on #6 plug thread. It seemed like rubber cap of the plug was not sealing properly. I am not sure if this is related.

Once the problem is corrected, will the Check Engine Lamp turn off automatically, or I still have to cycle the power (bettery) to reset?

At any rate, I will do the experiment tomorrow.

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts