Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice the engine clattering for a couple seconds when first start in the morning. It sounds like oil starvation. It happens right after I changed oil. I usually used Super Tech Oil filter and Super Tech synthetic 5W-30. However, this time I used Toyota oil filter (purchased from eBay). I decided to let the car sat over night, then removed the oil filter. As I expected, there was no oil left in the oil filter. This leads me to believe the anti drain back valve does not work...letting oil completely draining back to the pan. So when you first start the engine, it causes a clattering noise (it takes couple seconds to pump oil the to valves and to build up oil pressure). After I put in a $3 Super Tech oil filter, the clattering noise was gone.
I went back to read reviews from the buyers left (see link below), few people said the oil filters are fake and they made from north Korea. Any one have experience with this seller or using Toyota Filter from eBay?

Toyota Oil Filter 90915-YZZD1 Pack of 3 - SAME DAY SHIPPING - Priority Mail 2-4 | eBay

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1991 Corolla DLX 4AFE, 1994 Camry LE 5SFE, 1995 Avalon XLS 1MZFE, 2004 Sienna XLE/LTD, 2011 Camry LE
1,315 Posts
I always treat eBay items like this with high suspicion. Toyota Dealers sell the OEM Toyota brand filters for LESS than what this guy is selling them for. I always grab 3 or 4 filters at a time when I’m at the stealership for less than $20 - one of the few items the dealerships sell at a very reasonable price.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
5,664 Posts
I decided to let the car sat over night, then removed the oil filter. As I expected, there was no oil left in the oil filter. This leads me to believe the anti drain back valve does not work...letting oil completely draining back to the pan.
I never had any brand filter for my Camry hold oil overnight. The anti-drain is not a perfect seal. My filter is alway empty after sitting for long periods, the engine never "clatters".

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never had any brand filter for my Camry hold oil overnight. The anti-drain is not a perfect seal. My filter is alway empty after sitting for long periods, the engine never "clatters".
[/QUOTE]
I don't know what kind of oil filter you use, but every time I removed old oil filters, there is always oil in the filter running down and dripping. I have V6 and inline 4 may not have the same issue. When I replaced with an old $3 super tech oil filter, noise gone.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
5,664 Posts
Removing the oil filter just after engine shut off or within a relatively short time of engine shut off will have oil pouring out the filter and down the front of an I4 engine. Removing the filter after sitting overnight means no oil dripping as you pull off the filter.

If oil drain back was your problem then why do you not get clattering after installing a new (dry) filter on a I4? The filters are small and don't take long to fill. After the first fill they hold oil in the pleats but are not full after sitting overnight.

·
'00 4 Cyl. Auto Camry LE
1,594 Posts
Dunno the answer to the oil filter question ( eBay legit vs. fake ) but Kudos for changing out that filter when you realized the noise was present at startup - have had that happen with a few filters: over the years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts