Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

i am taking my car to the shop this week and among the things I want them to do is to run a compression check on all 4 cylinders

How do they actually do this and how may psi per cylinder should be I be looking for in a 99 corolla?

Thanks

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
they test it by removing the spark plug and put a gauge in it's place. then they turn the crank shaft and see what it goes too. i think they also leave it there for a moment to make sure it keeps at that pressure and what not .....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read while googling that on average they should be aroound 150psi. But they were talking about v6 engines and i dont know if it varies from one egine to the next. (especially when it is a smaller engine)

Can anyone confirm this?

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
hdsalinas said:
I read while googling that on average they should be aroound 150psi. But they were talking about v6 engines and i dont know if it varies from one egine to the next. (especially when it is a smaller engine)

Can anyone confirm this?
I dont know the actual figure... but i do know that the difference between the best and worst should be no more than 9psi... if it is, one would suspect you have either cracked rings or a blown head gasket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts