Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knew.........does a 2000 Toy Corolla have "Extended Coolant," mine is red......my car has 90,000KM.....when Do I need to change my coolant?

Also, What exactly is "checking the Valve clearance" which is suppose to be done at 96,000Km -- is this essential or just a mugging of the wallet by toyota?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Change the coolant, the red coolant is extended life coolant.
Check if the coolant is creating residue or if its dirty. Even if it isn't you should replace it. I changed mine at 100 000km but I drive my car constantly. You drive your car moderatly so you should have had it changed already.

And the valve clearance thing is a scam in my own opinion, you can have it checked if you really want to.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think the valve clearance issue is to adjust valves or toyos are probably hydraulic now! in that case u wouldn,t really need to check it unless you overrevved it alot.

·
Druken Postwhore
AE92GTS
2,490 Posts
Attn: for any owner of 1ZZ-FE, the water pump leaks around 60k km. and at around 130k km, your timing chain cover gaskets starts leaking oil. i've seen so many at my work place.

and don't bother with valve clearance, i would worry if you had 2ZZGE....

·
Registered
Avalon
262 Posts
Any coolant will become corrosive over time. The reaction of the metal in the water will eventually cause it to have a H+ ion concentration. The question is how long does this take? I'd go ahead and change it every five yrs. just to be safe, that's if you use the red (or pink) coolant, if your still using the green, I'd change it every two yrs. It's not that hard, and you don't have to worry about draining the block, as it will be diluted. Either way I'd not let it go forever, or you'll be looking at a water pump and radiator, not to metion headaches. The labor alone to install either one of these necessities, would probably cost as much as changing the coolant over the life of the vehicle.

*By the way never mix coolant colors, go with one or the other. They are like oil and water, seen this first hand.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
*By the way never mix coolant colors, go with one or the other. They are like oil and water, seen this first hand.
no they arent, I've seen em mixed, and probably have done that to a degree myself, when I converted back from red to green, probably didnt manage to empty all of the red.:rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts