Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I have heard about sludging of some V-6 3.0's but what I read refered to this problem in the Sienna van and a couple other Toyotas' but the Avalon was not mentioned, however I heard this can happen in any of the 3.0 V6's. Reasons primarily due to lack of scheduled oils changes, and a baffle on the top of the engine that has ports that allow oil to drain back into the engine which can become resticted due to extended oils changes.
My question you is have I got this right or is this bad info? A friend of mine said that I should run Engine flush every oil change to avert this potential problem.
I very much would appreciate your input on this. My avalon has high mileage(193,000) but runs terrific ,is a pleasure to drive and I want to keep it that way.
Thank you,
Mark

·
Registered
266 Posts
Engine sludge can happen with any car. I purchased a Civic with 80,000 one time only to find out the engine was all sludged up. The lady who owned it prior only performed like 5 oil changes for the life of the car. I don't believe in all those "fix it quick" products. Just change your oil every 3000 miles (or whatever your manual says; mine says every 5000 miles) and you'll be fine. If you perform regular maintenance on your car, exactly how the manual spells it out, your Toyota will run good forever.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you want to try the snake oil treatment, the one I have had real good luck with is Rislone. Just stick a quart in with a normal oil change and run it your normal oil change interval. I have used it in some turbo motors with cooked oil and in others that were filthy as well.

BTW, my 99 had a new engine put in a 64K because of sludge, when the last owner had it. The best way to prevent sludge is to run synthetic oil.

·
Registered
1996 Avalon XLS
1 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
ITs good to have an engine flush every 50K. I have been doing this in my cars and had no sludge problems. Also its good to flush the brake and power steering fuild about every 30K.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts