Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Thursday I had to take my corolla to the shop because it started to hesitate when accelerating. It got so bad that the car could not keep up with traffic. The engine stalled twice and it was making a mute firecracker sound. (And got the check engine light again)

Well at the shop, they told me that it needed a tune up and a new oxygen sensor. So I bought new sparkplugs (straight from the Toyota dealer) new air filter and a new oxygen sensor. They also took the injectors out and cleaned them.

I went to pick the car yesterday and I drove around to test it and was fine. I did not use it for another two hours or so and then when I started it again it was having the same problems. It sputtered, hesitated and popped. Angrily, I drove back to the shop where they were almost closing and only the manager was left, he told me to bring the car back on Monday (this was Saturday)

What can it be? He said that they checked the sparkplug wires and that they were fine. I have been using my regular brand of fuel so that can’t be it.

Any suggestions on what to check?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2001 with similar, but not quite as severe symptoms. I think I have corrected my problem. I'm not sure if a 1999 is the same as a 2001. My problem was intermittant rough idling, stalling lack of power. I have 146,000km's (90,000 miles) on it so put new iridium plugs in and took a tooth bruch and intake cleaner and cleaned the inside of the throttle body. That helped a lot but still had an occassional problem. After speaking with a friend at the dealership, he told me to clean the MAP sensor (spray with intake cleaner), which I did. It's been about a week and I haven't had any symptoms since (so far). Good luck.

·
Noog
76 Posts
Is it overheating at all, how's the temp?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts