Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 corolla
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my car has 276,000 miles on it and has been knocking for about the last 10,000 miles so I am looking for ideas out there from, building my motor, to swapping in a toyota levin motor with a six speed, my car being an automatic could use some manual action. So all ideas and prices of these swaps or builds would be helpful Thanks in advance.:naughty:

·
Registered
93 toyota corolla
635 Posts
+3 with phatroyal, you can upgrade the cams and some tuning if you want alil more power than a standard 20 valve.

·
Registered
1994 Corolla DX
1,121 Posts
depending if you want to stay legal with whatever North Carolina laws are. Here in Cali I'd have to find a smog/emissions hook up if I wanted to throw in a 20v 4age since it's a jdm engine. However, if I can spend a few more $ in trying to get a late gen 3sgte into my corolla it would be legal since the later MR2 turbo came with it :D

·
Just play along....
corolla
3,384 Posts
Still another vote for phatroyales suggestion. I'll probably do the same in the not too distant future. Figuring all the expenses and waiting for machine work and re-assembly involved in an overhaul it only makes sense to put in some low mileage Japanese horsepower.

-SP

·
Registered
93 corolla
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As for North Carolina laws if there is any on cars under 96 they aren't enforced to my knowledge, I have been looking into the blacktop swap but I am having trouble finding out these few key bit of info like
1. How will the swap bolt in and will I have to buy a mount kit?
2. How about transmission mounts and linkages, axles
3. Ecu and wiring problems
4. Also how much pain will I have to go through to swap auto tranny for manual (6-speed anyone)

I have been trying to find a shop located close to me in North Carolina that can help with this kind of venture but am having no luck finding anyone reputable.

·
Registered
1998 Toyota Camry
495 Posts
As for North Carolina laws if there is any on cars under 96 they aren't enforced to my knowledge, I have been looking into the blacktop swap but I am having trouble finding out these few key bit of info like
1. How will the swap bolt in and will I have to buy a mount kit?
2. How about transmission mounts and linkages, axles
3. Ecu and wiring problems
4. Also how much pain will I have to go through to swap auto tranny for manual (6-speed anyone)

I have been trying to find a shop located close to me in North Carolina that can help with this kind of venture but am having no luck finding anyone reputable.
From everything I've read, this is what I gather:

1. Drop-in
2. Bolt-on
3. You will need the ECU and wiring harness
4. Aside from the trans you will need to replace the pedals, gear linkages, and gearbox

It's best to get a full engine+trans package or better yet a full front clip if you can.

Reactions: Corollajoe
1 - 13 of 13 Posts