Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 87 camry LE, At idle it revs up to about 1400 and remains at that until i either shift into gear or engage the A\C. Since my compressor went out last week...the A\C method doesnt seem to be much help now...I cant for the life of me find the idle adjustment, the book mentions the idle adjust method but for as new as an 86. ive cleaned out the TB, checked timing, flushed radiator, changed thermostat, and changed the radiator cap, only to find that the car runs at about 220 degree f. I also need the driver side window switch panel, as the button for the driver window is screwed, as is the switch for the sunroof, it will close, but i have to cross the terminals with a quarter to get it to open... The car will pulsate whenever i let off the gas from a cruise...it will jump up and down about 300 rpms and finally stabalize... this car has a few issues, but hell it has 270000 miles and i only paid a grand for it...

·
ASE Master, now Realtor
A 1989 Camry
368 Posts
Too many problems for a text response, but I'd first look for unmetered air entering the engine. That means no cracks in the induction boot and no loose or missing hoses to start with.

·
ASE Master, now Realtor
A 1989 Camry
368 Posts
Alos look for places where air can enter the manifold BEHIND the throttle.

I once had a Tempo with a ruptured diaphragm in the EGR valve that allowed enough air to enter to keep the idle over 2,000 rpm. That may not be possible with the toyota design, but you can see that there are many things attached to the intake manifold that can allow air to enter. Even the intake manifold gasket is suspect.

You could also pinch of one hose after another to determine if there is a falut in the device it connects to, such as the power steering pump or the brake booster.

Look at the throttle valve itself. Does it seem to be open more than you'd expect?

When had how did this begin?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
the butterfly valve is slightly angled, as ive always seen on other cars, no gaps visible on either top of bottom... ive checked all lines coming from the intake with a vacuum test tool...no leaks. ive got an aftermarket airfilter on it...everything else is OEM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts