Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 toyota pickup
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:headbang:Whenever I am at a red light foot off clutch or if the clutch is pushed in my truck idle goes from 1000 to 1500 rpm or sometimes 1500 to 2000 rpm or sometimes even 500 to 1000 and if I let our the brake it goes up to the higher idle that it was going up and down to or sometimes it idles high like 2000-1500 and I press the brake in it drops and starts fluctuating sometimes it fluctuates up and down fast sometimes slow and eventually it stops. Has anyone else had this problem or know what's up? By the way its a 91 reg cab 5 speed. Thanks,Ross

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
Sounds like a vacuum problem. I would check all my vacuum lines, vsv's, and check valves. One area that often gets over looked is the check valve right in front of the brake booster. Its the brake booster check valve. I believe it acts just like a PCV valve and over time, they wear out.

The tech savy guys may be of more help in confirming that or not.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Engine???

Start by setting hot idle to spec. 750 rpm for 22RE manual, I think 850 for 22RE auto, and 800 for 3vze w/either tranny.

If idle set too high, the ecu engages the fuel cut feature when brake pedal pressed. That helps save gas and when coming to a stop. If over the fuel cut rpm, it cuts gas to the motor when brake is pressed until rpm is below about 1k, then engages again. If idle is set too high, it revs up again and the fuel cut is engaged again, and so on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts