Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I'm shopping around for a newer vehicle, I'm seeing the RAV4 ,mid to late 90s early aughts, with a 4 cyl 2.0 engine, but the description always says that it gets what seems like really low miles to the gallon like 18 in town and 25 Highway something like that.
My 91 Camry still gets 25 in town and 30 on the highway. That's without a tune-up, needing wires which the last guy said he put on but didn't, but it's the same 2.0 L 4 cylinder engine, isn't it? I read somewhere that it was.
If it's the same engine why is the mileage on the RAV4 with that engine always posted, touted to have far less gas mileage? Perhaps the posters on Facebook Marketplace get their info in the same place ? I often ask them what the real mileage is and they said pretty much that.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
8,256 Posts
It is almost the same engine. There are minor external differences and the electronics that run it are different (OBD-II compatible, etc.). The Rav4 has a few things working against it - it is taller and less aerodynamic and the gearing is lower (higher RPMs at any given speed). Also, if you are looking at the AWD versions, that will lower gas mileage. My Alltrac (when it had the original motor, similar to the AWD Rav4) got low-20's MPG - driven the same way my original 5-speed '90 would get 30-35mpg (I made it over 500 miles on a few tanks on long highway trips).

-Charlie

1 - 2 of 2 Posts