Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 79 celica and I do a lot of long distance driving. The other day, my engine started making this loud noise. A rough sounding noise. There aren't any clinking or racketing noises, it just sound rough. I know there's something wrong because before it, the engine was almost silent. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
do you know from which part of the engine it's comming from? and what engine does it have?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to apologize for the lack of knowledge I have for the car. I know how to fix some things if I have a manual. Anyway, it's coming from the right side of the engine, around the distributor and spark plug area. It's a 20-R engine. If you have suggestions that would be great.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am assuming it is well over 100k miles? Based on just the very limited information we have here and the placement you are stating for the sound, perhaps a timing chain issue of some sort? I know I had a similar type situation once when a chain guide I think it was had broken on my 22r-e, which is fairly similar to the 20r in many ways. Anyhow, I would suggest taking it into a mechanic before driving it too much more if you aren't too familiar with it. 20R is a great engine and almost bulletproof, but age can wear any engine down. Another possibility that I just thought of is something that happened to my 75 corona wagon way back when. My sister was driving it and a valve spring I think it is broke on the front cylinder. My idiot sister kept driving it though despite the noise it was making. She wound up sucking the valve into the cylinder and ruining my engine...that was a 20r. Anyhow, good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts