Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I don't know if this engine noise is new to me or not, I swear I haven't heard it before, here's a video, the noise happens when I turn the key to ACC and then when I turn the car off. The noise happens for a quick second and I cant really tell where its coming from. Does yours do this too? 2015 auto tc here!

·
Registered
01 Avalon XL, 03 Avalon XL
1,291 Posts
Do you mean the slapping sound around 8 secs? I hear 3 noises, ?door open? @3 sec, slap at 7-8 sec, ?door close? @14 sec.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
It sounds like an array of solenoids opening up, then closing down. Is there any aftermarket stuff on the car (alarm, disabler, HID headlights, etc.)?

From 3-5, there's a hum that almost sounds like a stuck motor trying to run. Not on my 01 or 03 Avalons (which are Camrys, 6-cylinder engine) but on our 00 and 04 Tauruses, the secondary air pump ("smog pump") would run on shut-down, then spool down. I have no idea if there's a secondary air pump on the tC

Wikipedia tells me that your gen tC had an optional turbocharger - does you car have this and is it an electric turbo (forgot to ask this above: any aftermarket tuning stuff on it?)

You also seem to have an electric power steering system...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey there, no aftermarket anything on this car, no turbocharger, yea I’m lost as to what the noise is and if I may have heard it before, or I just wasn’t paying close attention. I’ve had the car codes run but there’s none. Kinda lost here, no cel.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Well, there's a diagnostic tool called ChassisEAR that has 6 microphones that you locate strategically to pinpoint where sound is coming from. I actually bought a kit for $75 or so from ebay. I was facing a $700 rear strut R&R due to a clunk and I wasn't convinced that the shop was right about the struts. The tool saved me from the strut R&R because the clunk in my car was coming from a rear suspension sway bar bushing, a $17 oem part, or $2-8 on Rock Auto for aftermarket. (Yeah, $700 - I'm old and have to let a shop handle the heavy stuff).

Alternatively, you can cut a length of PVC pipe and use it as a mechanic's stethoscope. Hold one end at an ear and the other on a possible source of sound. You might have to do this for many minutes as someone else does your RUN > ACC > off sequence, with you positioning the business end of the pipe at this or that possible area of sound.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts