Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Mobile 1 is hard to beat and I don't think I noticed the name of the independent lab that did all the testing. Valvoline makes great products also so I am not bashing them.

I don't think you will see great differences in mileage between two different brands of synthetic oil and I'm not sure that one is better for engine life over the other if you change the oil at 3000-5000 mile intervals. I like 3000 miles myself. Certainly synthetic (100% or a high % syn blend) is better.

·
Registered
98' Camry
428 Posts
i stick with what toyota came off the line with. good ol mobile 5w-30 does its job and its cheaper than syn =P

·
Toyota | moving forward
1,534 Posts
What is your OCI? Either one will be just fine, I'm currently running Valvoline SynPower 5W-30 in my gen 5.5 and SuperTech synthetic 10W-30 in the gen 3.5. The SuperTech was less than $20, not much more than dino oil so I figured why not.

·
Registered
98' Camry
428 Posts
i had also used Valvoline SynPower 5W-30 for 2 cycles and it seemed to burn it off at high speeds. i havent had that problem with mobile

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Errr...

I searched on the internet and saw another brand "AMSoil", they said AMSoil beats every oil, so... is that TRUE?

·
Registered
98' Camry
428 Posts
syn wise it was a first one to develop it. ive read quite a few good things about it. it is expensive though

·
VVT-1MZ + ES5spd
Toyota Corolla
2,017 Posts
i'll throw in royal purple for the sake of the arguement

·
Toyota | moving forward
1,534 Posts
i'll throw in royal purple for the sake of the arguement
RP is on sale at a local store for $6.99/qt which is much cheaper than WalMart.. But the Valvoline I buy runs $23.50 per 5qt jug or $4.70/qt, so I'm more inclined to stick with that. I change my oil every 5 months (roughly = 3-4K miles) anyway so I don't need anything super expensive. I just prefer to run synthetic because almost all of my miles are in the city and I drive "spiritedly" :lol:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Run for 3000 with one, then do a used oil analysis. Then do the same thing with the other. Your never going to find a consensus on "whats the best oil?" In reality, the differences are minimal. Changing your oil when it needs it is the most important thing.

3,032 Posts

·
Registered
98' Camry
428 Posts
id hate to ask but with an engine with 96k on it what difference is it going to be to switch to syn over normal oil? like i said ive tried both and both do the same thing. there isnt a noticeable difference. as long as you change it normal like everyone else said youll be good. why spend extra on syn if its not doing anything? sorry just putting my 2 cents in =P

·
Registered
96'Camry, 88'Corolla
417 Posts
As along as the oil meets SM,
And if you are going to change it, go with namebrands oil such Castrol, ect.
Does not make difference. My instructors recomend a Syentic Blend,

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
Another useless oil comparison discussion.
:werd:

Most trolls use the "Is it true?" question just to stir things up and turn members against each other.

Meanwhile, the OP is probably laughing at how you guys are arguing and flaming each other over something small like oil brand preference. :disappoin

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you all for the suggestions, m8s.

I have changed the oil yesterday, as to end the possible arguing, I won't tell what brand I used....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts