Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Resident Nutcase
12,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Engine Oil Cooler Hose "Leaking" TSB - Toyota "Warranty Enhancement" Letter

Good news for those who have had an rubber engine oil cooler hose fail outside of the 60k warranty, looks like you'll get reimbursed. I just got this in the mail. I guess the failure rate is becoming much higher than they expected as it seems we're now between the TSB phase (only warranty pays) and full recall for that part.....interesting.

Oh well, still glad I replaced it myself :D Oh and kudos Toyota for beginning to acknowledge this

(Because how the new forum format automatically sizes images to the window size and leaves no way to view fullsize (really freaking stupid BTW Autoguide...), I had to split up the letter into 7 images (so it would be readable, otherwise it would fit the height of the letter on the screen and you'd be reading 2 pixel wide letters...), that is why it looks kinda out of alignment. This was how its formatted though.)

·
Resident Nutcase
12,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems to be that way. It seems they will pay the fee by a dealer to check the car if there is an oil leak somewhere, and if its the cooler hose, replace it until you hit the mileage mark they specify, which most 08's are pretty much at. I'm 25k away from it, that's 1 year for me.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I wonder if the hose ruptures and causes engine damage, does the warranty cover all engine repairs up to replacing the engine. If that is the case, I guess it doesn't matter if the hose ruptures or not if your within the time and mileage limitations.

·
Toyota Traitor
966 Posts
I'm hoping I kept my paperwork from when I had mine fixed in May, I wonder if they just cover the hose itself or if they'll go good for the oil it spewed to get it to the repair shop and the oil it took to replace. For the people who had it fail and had their vehicles towed, I wonder if Toyota will cover the towing bill?

I dumped mine immediately following the oil line failing but I still paid out of pocket for an oil change 1000 KM prior, a quart of oil to get me to the shop and the shop I took it to did another oil change when they were finished repairing the hose because the car had no oil left in it. If I recall it was about a $200 repair.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mileage limit doesn't apply until after Jan 31, 2016. Until that date, you could have 300k miles and it's covered.
Not so, according to Toyota customer service.

I submitted all required documents for reimbursement and was denied. The letter was not specific, it just said: "Regrettably, the repair performed on your vehicle does not meet the criteria for reimbursement under the Customer Support Program CSP ZE2." So I called the toll free number, and CS looked up my case number. She said the reason was that my HL had more than 150k miles on it when the repair was done (it was at 158k). :frown:

I'm screwed. There is no arguing with these people. They don't play fair.

Here's something else that bugs me. The warranty enhancement notification said "primary coverage" until Jan. 31, 2016 with no mileage limitation, and thereafter a "secondary coverage" for 10 years or 150k miles. I don't understand this language (and Toyota uses it on all such letters)... think about it for a minute. If primary coverage ends on 1/31/16, how would anyone at Toyota know the odometer reading of a person's HL on that date? How would anyone know where to start the 'clock' on the secondary coverage limitation of 150k miles? What is the point of labeling coverage as "primary" or "secondary", anyway: what's the difference in coverage? If secondary is really additive onto primary (meaning a time/mileage difference and nothing else), why not simply say that we're covered until 10 years or 150k miles has elapsed after the benchmark date of 1/31/16? But then, according to CS that is not what they mean at all. (edit: I think I see now... after 1/31/16, if you still don't have 150k on the odometer, secondary will continue to cover until you do get 150k or until another 10 years passes, whichever is first.)

I think they got some lawyers to write some confusing stuff that they can twist on the fly to mean whatever they want it to mean. And twist it, they do. At least, they did it with me. :frown:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
About this Discussion
75 Replies
20 Participants
bobert1634
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing