Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mechanic noticed engine oil leaking from the bolt underneath the engine oil pane. He said he will try with a new bolt and if that doesnt fix the leak, he may have to replace the oil pane. It wasnt leaking a significant amount so I came home intending to go back in a couple days when I am going to get the brakes changed. YEsterday, I checked the engine oil and int was low...it was less than the first dotted sign on the dip stick. I added almost 2.5 quarts of oil. Today morning, checked the engine oil again and Itsa tad bit less than dotted sign. I am out of town and wants to take my car to my own mechanic that I trust. What are my options to have this issue fixed? ANy insights or recommendations on cost/part/? Someone said I can try to put sealant in and see if that fixes it? Is that a good idea? What potential damage this can do to the engine it self. I have 50k miles on my 2011 highlander. Thanks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sounds like your mechanic was going to replace the oil drain plug and gasket. It's a relatively common thing to replace, particularly the gasket as many people tend to overtighten the plug. Any shop will be able to do this. If it continues to leak there are oversized drain plugs that can be used.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,364 Posts
2.5 quarts low is risking MAJOR engine damage / replacement for many many $$$$$.

Any leak that loses that much over a period of a few days is going to leave major puddles.

Instead of posting on forums, you need to get this to somebody who knows what they are doing - NOW

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.