Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 toyota pickup
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i drive an 89 with a 3.0 im haveing problems with my engine . it shakes the whole truck. and it shoots watery suity looking stuff out of my pipe so i was wanting to know if you had any suggestions:disappoin

·
Registered
800 Posts
Placing your hand a safe distance away from the tailpipe, are the exhaust pulses that come out smooth or can you detect it misfiring? If it's misfiring then you should check to see that your TPS is working correctly and your timing is properly set at 10 degrees BTDC. Beyond that you could have a distributor cap, spark plug, spark plug wire, etc. that is in need of replacement. Have you checked for trouble codes?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Watery stuff out the tailpipe usually means coolant, which means head gasket, so I would take a look at the level in your rad when the motor is cold. If it's low, that of course is not good news.

You need to run a compression test to really know what kind of shape your cylinders are in. It's not difficult, and a decent Actron compression tester is only $15 shipped over on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP7826-Compression-Tester/dp/B000CPJM66/

See this thread for some info:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2581487#post2581487

Good luck.

·
Registered
89 toyota pickup
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Placing your hand a safe distance away from the tailpipe, are the exhaust pulses that come out smooth or can you detect it misfiring? If it's misfiring then you should check to see that your TPS is working correctly and your timing is properly set at 10 degrees BTDC. Beyond that you could have a distributor cap, spark plug, spark plug wire, etc. that is in need of replacement. Have you checked for trouble codes?

where is the tps and what does it look like. and also how would i know its bad

·
Registered
91 4x4 extracab
608 Posts
go to one of the auto parts stores they normally will let you use their pressure tester for free pump the tester 3 to 5 pounds above cap pressure and wait for a period of time i normally wait 5 minutes and see if the pressure bleeds off.if there is no physical external leaks and the pressure bleeds off then you have a problem with either a head gasket or even a crack in the head/block. "sb5walker" said it right check the water level in the radiator to make sure it is not just condensation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts