Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Killa Clean Gen 3
Camry
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking the other day about the scion tc and camry I4 last night, first off what is it's code? 2zz-fe or something?

Anyways, maybe I'm totally wrong here, let me know if I am, but isn't it just a 5sfe with a longer stroke essentially?

Didn't toyota do the same thing with the 1mz-fe to the new 3mzfe or what ever the new 3.3 liter V6 is? Doesn't it just have a bigger bore an/or stroke?

So what I'm getting at, IF what I said is the case, and maybe I'm totally wrong, but wouldn't that mean the new supercharger for the 2.4 I4 would be compatible with the 5sfe? And possibly the 1mzfe supercharger compatible with the 3.3 V6?

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
3,444 Posts
The 2ZZ got VVTi head (or VVTiL??) Intake is mount to the front of the engine and exhaust is in front of the fire wall. That'll make the SC mount totally different on the 5S, like pulley on opposite side and maybe even rotate backward.
That doesn't include port size and manifold mounts.
Then as long as you can make an intake manifold to match the head and SC. All you need is connect a belt to it. So if you really want, you can put a SC on any engine. Like turbo need exhaust manifold, SC need intake manifold.

·
Killa Clean Gen 3
Camry
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i've got an engine question too.
what exactly doing the RPMs?
:p:
:confused:
What the fuck are you talking about? I'm trying to ask a serious question.

Anyone else have any insight, is the 2zzfe a 5fse with bigger stroke/bore, and a vvt head, ie, same block? Could the supercharger be put on as a direct bolt up?

Then as long as you can make an intake manifold to match the head and SC. All you need is connect a belt to it. So if you really want, you can put a SC on any engine. Like turbo need exhaust manifold, SC need intake manifold
I didn't need that bullshit answer.

"Hmm, you could attatch a jet engine to you car, but you have to add a new electrical, and a big ass gas tank, so if you really want to you can put a jet engine on any car!"

You answer is'nt worth two halfs of a shit.

·
Grenaded piston
8,546 Posts
Gen3cruiser said:
Anyone else have any insight, is the 2zzfe a 5fse with bigger stroke/bore, and a vvt head, ie, same block? Could the supercharger be put on as a direct bolt up?
Different block.

5S-FE = 5th gen S block

2ZZ-FE = 2nd gen z block, or is it 2nd gen zz block?

Either way their different.

I didn't need that bullshit answer.

"Hmm, you could attatch a jet engine to you car, but you have to add a new electrical, and a big ass gas tank, so if you really want to you can put a jet engine on any car!"

You answer is'nt worth two halfs of a shit.
And I don't need you talking shit.

Anymore shit talking from anyone and i'll lock this thread. Maybe even report you to the admins. :saythat:

·
Idon't brag I mostlyboast
MTA MetroCard
9,480 Posts
#1 - its a 2AZFE in the Camry and tC. 2ZZFE is the Celica GTS/Matrix and Corolla XRs engine.

#2 - 2AZFE and 5SFE are from different engine families, so parts from/for a 2AZ will not fit a 5SFE

#3 - 1MZFE and 3MZFE are from the same family, but different just like a 5SFE is different from a 3SFE and JDM 2SFE and 4SFEs.

Engine code breakdown works like this: the number is the edition of that engine family. Higher numbers mean newer editions. The "F" (or "G" as the case may be) is the performance profile of the engine - being an F means it's basically an econobox (meant for fuel economy and other things) and G means its a sports/performance head engine. the "E" means it's fuel injected

As for the AZ, S, etc., after the engine number, that is the engine family. "S" engines usually have compatible parts between engine editions, but not between engines that are not in the "S" family (which is why your idea won't work without extensive modification - more than just buying what's already available for the engine you have)

·
Grenaded piston
8,546 Posts
^ Good explanation. :thumbsup:

BEFORE "-":
the letters indicate the engine family, for example in 18R-G
the engine family is R, in 2JZ-GTE the family is JZ.
The number(s) at the beginning is the number of the are for a certain
bottom end version (block, bore, stroke). The larger the number,
the newer the bottom end version. It may seem like the larger the
number, the larger the displacement but this is not always true.

AFTER "-":
G = twin cam (wide angle, 45 degrees or more between the intake and exhaust valves)
F = "economical" twin cam (narrow angle, around 22 degrees)
T = turbocharged
Z = supercharged
E = fuel injection
i = single point fuel injection
L = transverse mounted engine (seems to be an obsolete code)
B = twin carbs (only used on non-twin cam engines, obsolete code)
R = air injection
S = swirl intake ports (only a few made in mid '80s)
S = direct injection & swirl pot pistons (starting from '97/98)
U = emission package (Japan)
C = emission package (California)
LPG = LPG fuel

Info is from:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/9975/dataBySubject/EngineCodes.html

·
Killa Clean Gen 3
Camry
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sweet!

Thanks guys! Thats what I wanted to know.

So no supercharged 5sfe for me, but what about you guys with the 3MZFE, would the 1MZFE supercharger fit on there?

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
3,444 Posts
Yea someone did attached a jet engine to a car :cool:
Even turbo need a custom made exhaust manifold sometime.
When one modding a car, one can't just look at bolt-ons. There many times you'll need custom stuff made to get it together. Even swaping an engine is not straight forward.

BTW, I'm Mechanical Engineer, so everything could be done with a price tag :D

·
Killa Clean Gen 3
Camry
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BTW, I'm Mechanical Engineer, so everything could be done with a price tag
Small world, in 3 years it will be my official title.:D

Didn't mean to get pissy at you earlier, your answer wasn't really what I was getting at, I wanted to know if it was bolt on. Other wise the question wouldn't have been worth asking. Know what I mean?

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
3,444 Posts
No problem but get used to it. Customer never give you straight answers ;) and they won't like it when you give them straight answers too :p:
Even most "bolt-on" are not just bolt-on. Unless you're paying lots of $$$$$$ for a really good kit with lots of instruction. Taking parts from another engine is never bolt-on.
Easiest is to use 3S-GTE top half and put it on the 5S-FE to turbo it but that again needs lots of works and know how.

·
Premium Member
96 Camry Coupe
1,529 Posts
I just wanted to add something to this alphabet soup.

5S-FE

5-fifth version of the S block
S-block family
F-fuel efficient head
E-electronic fuel injection

2JZ-GTE

2-second version of the J block
J-block family
Z-indicates that this block has been used in something other than
a car (i.e. forklift).
G-performance head
T-turbocharged
E-electronic fuel injection

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.