Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lot of questions on possibilities on MR2s and their engines. Im an owner of an american 91 MKII n/a, and i want to know more.

I hear that 5s-fe's can be a faster engine than the 3sgte when modded right, is that true??

Everywhere I go, people say just go with the 3sgte because its already a turbo engine, i just want at least 200 horses with what i have now. Is there any way to get that high with a n/a 5s-fe??

I've never heard of the 3sgte being a twin turbo or sequential turbo.......is either of them possible???

What is the true potential of a 5s-fe or a 3s-ge? I am thinking about the perfect engine to swap to when the time calls for it.....i would swap for a 3s-gte, but seeing how hard it is to come by + the fact that i dont really want a turbo engine (Unless twin or sequential is possible)...........i dream of the 3s-ge BEAMS, but i have nightmares for the costs from parts + labor.....haha

can anyone answer some of these questions?? I would really really appreciate it. Im aware that these are pretty much newb questions and that they may be somewhere else in the forum, but i never completely learned about the 5s-fe's or 3s-ge's true potential after mods or im completely unaware
about technical information in MR2s in general. Im tryin to read up as much as i can, but its hard because i dont have that much time. Please answer these questions

·
Registered
39 Posts
a 3sgte is a better motor with way more potential than a 5s .

ive never heard of or seen a twin turbo or sequential setup since its a 4 cyl...

the 3s has waaaay more potential and product support is great with em soo it really depends on how much cash u want to throw into the motor . As far as getting the motor , I see them for sale all the time on ebay . Its costly but if u swap it in your self it will save u some cash . I hope i helped ya a lil , if i didnt someone will , good luck

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just go with the 3sgte!

The cheapest and easiest way to get 200hp out of that 5sfe is w/ a bottle!
You can easily buy a rear clip of a turbo mkii with the amount of money you would spend on getting that motor up to 200 n/a horse the safe way!

As for the twin turbo set-up... There are only a couple people i've heard of who actually did a twin turbo set-up on the 3sgte. Personally, there really isn't a point to it! There are plenty of turbos out there that can produce big HP #'s. Look at all the supra guys who get rid of the twins for a single turbo! ;)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
3S-GTE all the way.

If there was a way to mod a 5S-FE to be faster than a 3S-GTE, then all of us with slow 4-cyl Camrys with 5S-FE engines would be all over it. We haven't found it.

·
Audi Technician
774 Posts
if you had a twin turbo set up you would have one turbo for two exhaust ports which would create a heavy lag in turbos and they wouldn't work properly. twin sequencial is the only possibilty you would but for the cost you could easily buy a different motor capable of much much more.

as for the 5S-FE... you could swap head make it dual over head cams, add some forged pistons and rods with titanium valves. upgrade the cams, port the intake and throw a header with exhaust and your looking kinda good.

now the only way to keep this from getting more expensive than a performance motor swap is to do it yourself... and the fact you need to ask questions like this gives me the idea that your prolly not capable knowledge wise. so...

either pay for a motor swap or pay for someone to build your 5s...

·
Black 94t
11 Posts
acually you can mate the 3sgte head to the 5sfe block. there are bunches of ways to make power with the 5sfe, but none of them will be quicker or cheaper to the 200hp you seek faster than getting a 3sgte swap with a manual boost controller and a fuel cut defender. these are all you need with a 2nd gen 3sgte to achieve 200hp.

and by the way the 5sfe is a dual overhead cam motor

·
Registered
6 Posts
go pull a v6 1MZ-FE and rebuild the internals and twin turbo that. but if you think a beams swap is bad then a twin turbo will be a little too much

·
Black 94t
11 Posts
do that and fit it all in the engine bay, then take a pic, than send it to guiness book so they can put it right above the 3000gt vr4 and nissan 300zx as the hardest car to work on ever.

·
Registered
85 Posts
do that and fit it all in the engine bay, then take a pic, than send it to guiness book so they can put it right above the 3000gt vr4 and nissan 300zx as the hardest car to work on ever.
There are a few 1MZ MR2's. There is/was a Northstar V8 MKI MR2.
You can get 300hp out of a 3SGTE for very cheap if you get a low mileage motor, otherwise you might want to tear it down and sure up the internals.
As for the 5SFE, like someone mentioned earlier, put a bottle on it!

·
Midship Captain
1,643 Posts
5SFE = "5th Series" of the "S" Style Block....with Economical Narrow Angled Dual Overhead Cams ("F") and its Fuel injected ("E") (5SFE)

3SGE = "3rd Series" of the "S" style Block with "G" wide angle cams (little more performence), and its fuel injected.

The "T" in 3SGTE just means Turbocharged.

the 3SGE and 3SGTE were designed with performance in mind and thats why the are found on toyotas sports cars and cars that offer a sport package.

I just want to own a 3SGZTE...teh sex

1 - 11 of 11 Posts