Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1990 toyota camry
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in my 1990 toyota camry theres a rattle in the engine only when i accelerate i think its a pulley but im not entirely sure when its at, anybody had this happen to them or knows what is wrong?

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,677 Posts
Does it sound like BB's rolling around in a tin can? If so, bump up your octane to 89 or 91 and see if the sound goes away...

-Charlie

·
Registered
1990 Camry Deluxe
241 Posts
Thats odd. I've noticed this on my Camry a few times but only because my Prizm with 4afe motor did this too. It would make the noise especially when cold and during the fast idle (untill it warmes up) and accelleration like mentioned in this thread. Odd thing is I never heard the noise again after I had my timing belt/water pump etc. replaced (on the prizm) could it be something else besides pinging?

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,677 Posts
yeah its a pinging noise
Check the timing if you can and set it to 10*BTDC (make sure you follow the correct procedure to set the timing...).

Failing that, try higher octane to see if that fixes the problem. I had to run 89 octane on my original Camry to avoid pinging.

-Charlie

·
Registered
1990 Camry Deluxe
241 Posts
would a cloged egr cause the motor to sound raspy on initial throttle?

·
Registered
1990 toyota camry
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
k well iv done some research and iv looked in my haynes book but i cant find out how to reset the timing and also where is the egr?

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
is there a how to to set timing?
It should be in any manual. If you don't have a manual for your car, I suggest you go over to the Camry forum on AutomotiveForums.com and download the appropriate manual for your car. The manuals for generation 2-6 are stickied at the top of that forum and are available for free downloading.

Mike

·
Registered
1990 toyota camry
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok so i up'ed my grade to 90 noticed a little difference the rattling stoped at about 1500 rpms ten last night i put some seafoam in it to clean the crap out of it and we'll see how it goes from there

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,677 Posts
ok so i up'ed my grade to 90 noticed a little difference the rattling stoped at about 1500 rpms ten last night i put some seafoam in it to clean the crap out of it and we'll see how it goes from there
Wait, do you actually put load on your motor at 1500rpm? Manual or auto?

If you have a manual, keep those RPMs up above 2k at all times (unless you are in a parking lot in first, etc.). Even if it isn't pinging/knocking at low rpm, it is hard on the bearings if you run the motor at low rpm under load.

-Charlie

·
Registered
1990 toyota camry
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes its manual and i know not to drive under 1500 its just like when im ideling at a stop light and then accelerate, so it has also been a few days and i still see to change im not sure how long it takes to clean out the carbon but im really starting to think its the timeing

·
Registered
1990 toyota camry
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i figured out the problem my exhuast cover was rusted out and rattle causing the noise

1 - 16 of 16 Posts