Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so i had the tsb performed for cold dtart engine noise by the dealer. i told them it only did it on warm starts, well, it still does it.... anyone have a similar issue with warm start noise, or does anyones sound rough at all on warm start, maybe knowone else notices....????:(

·
Registered
400 Posts
Mine had the TSB for the cold start noise completed a couple of weeks ago. It still rattles intermittently on warm restarts as it has for over a year now.

I haven't reported back to the dealer about it yet. My Corolla needs to go for the accelerator pedal/floormat recall and with the return of cooler weather, the ticking noise in my windshield has come back (already worked on under warranty once). My Sequoia developed a lazy folding mirror problem and has an intermittent failure in the radio where it just stops taking input and continues playing whatever radio station or CD at whatever volume until the vehicle is rebooted... uh, I mean restarted.

So... I'll be seeing a lot of my dealer here soon anyway. I'm weighing how to proceed with them on the engine noise. If they tell me it's normal again, I'm going to ask them to go get all the keys off the rack and begin starting cars on the lot until we find another one with this "normal" noise. Failing that, I'll ask them to make my car rattle every time I start it because my car is failing to make this "normal" noise when I start it sometimes. :rolleyes:

I'm tellin' ya, I'm beginning to think Toyota's with model years that start with "2" ain't so grand. :facepalm:

·
Registered
09 Toyota Corolla S
3,516 Posts
well I dont have this problem but I did have an "extended crank" which I know there is a tsb for but I think its because I filled my tank all the way in the morning and then the gas expanded and too much was in the fuel lines/rails or whatever and had to burn the excess fumes :cool:

oh and John- some are not as good as they should be but my family couldn't be happier with our 2003 4runner.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
400 Posts
oh and John- some are not as good as they should be but my family couldn't be happier with our 2003 4runner.:thumbsup:
I don't recall what part of its generation the '03 model fell in, but it's probably my fault for buying model year one of a new generation with both my Sequoia and my Corolla. Dad always says, don't by the new model during the first year. ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
disappointing

everyone told me how good toyota is, so i bought this as my first new car, i regret it, i wish i wud have kept my raggidy old truck, im going to drive it for maybe 2 years then its byebye. really disappointing in toyotas quality, im trying to believe the noise is normal just so i will forget about it because it really ruins my day when i hear that engines sound...cars are my life...

·
Registered
400 Posts
everyone told me how good toyota is, so i bought this as my first new car, i regret it, i wish i wud have kept my raggidy old truck, im going to drive it for maybe 2 years then its byebye. really disappointing in toyotas quality, im trying to believe the noise is normal just so i will forget about it because it really ruins my day when i hear that engines sound...cars are my life...
The thing is, Toyota's are pretty good. I like my Corolla. It's fun to drive, gets good gas mileage and will probably run around 300k miles with few major, expensive repairs/maintenance (fingers crossed). Those are the reasons I bought it. I'm divided about the engine noise. It could rattle and knock like this for 500k miles just fine. Or not. It's not knowing that bugs me.

Expecting a Toyota to reliably run 200k or 300k miles was not previously a "knock on wood" thing for me. The other aspect is that I've had past experience with a Toyota that lasted a very long time with an annoying problem that I couldn't get a dealer to fix. Imagine driving a car for 15 years with a defective CD player. Yeah. So, it's turned me into a bit of a stickler about not accepting "could not reproduce" and "that's normal."

·
Registered
09 Toyota Corolla S
3,516 Posts
I don't recall what part of its generation the '03 model fell in, but it's probably my fault for buying model year one of a new generation with both my Sequoia and my Corolla. Dad always says, don't by the new model during the first year. ;)
yeah we dont like buying it the first year a newly redesigned car comes out...but we needed the car and they gave us a good deal so we jumped on it. and on the 4runner....it was almost a year after it first came out...where all the fender flares were gray plastic :p: we got the one were they refreshed it and painted everything:thumbsup: looks way better IMO

Toyota's are pretty good its just that you cant expect every aspect of the car is going to be perfect(im sure you dont) I have a raggity truck right now(chevy silverado) and its the worst heap of junk we ever owned.....16 recalls, a million TSB's and the v6 is stupid, useless, and weak. It drinks too much, its HEAVIER than the 4runner! omg that shocked me when I found out, and it never runs even though it only has a 116K miles, a/c quit working, LOTS of annoying noises, and it broke down every year at least a few times( it even broke down when it was only 6 months old!) now its just sitting in our driveway and collecting dust. We are selling the thing so we can get a early 2000's Corolla and cant wait!
And also(this is to everyone) GM, Honda, Chrysler group, and a lot of other manufacturers are having issues in quality and especially things to do with "stuck" pedals and "unintended acceleration" stupid media!

The thing is, Toyota's are pretty good. I like my Corolla. It's fun to drive, gets good gas mileage and will probably run around 300k miles with few major, expensive repairs/maintenance (fingers crossed). Those are the reasons I bought it. I'm divided about the engine noise. It could rattle and knock like this for 500k miles just fine. Or not. It's not knowing that bugs me.

Expecting a Toyota to reliably run 200k or 300k miles was not previously a "knock on wood" thing for me. The other aspect is that I've had past experience with a Toyota that lasted a very long time with an annoying problem that I couldn't get a dealer to fix. Imagine driving a car for 15 years with a defective CD player. Yeah. So, it's turned me into a bit of a stickler about not accepting "could not reproduce" and "that's normal."
x2

·
Irv
09 Matrix
4 Posts
My car is a Matrix with the same engine, but I want to respond. My problem seems to be the same. The dealer performed the TSB for the cold start issue and it made no difference except maybe reduced the MPG by 1 or 1.5 mpg. Last oil change the dealer did agree to put 5W-30 oil in it rather than the 5W-20. This made no real difference either. Seems like the knock depends on how warm the engine is when shut off. When I drive 10 mile and shut it off, the startup noise is less that starting after driving a few hours hours at interstate speeds. I think this is simply an oil drain down issue in a situation where rod or main clearance is toward the maximum, accounting for why most don't knock until 30 or 40K miles. I don't think this is critical, but it is embarassing! I also think Toyota knows more about this noise than they admit! Good luck, Irv

If my assumption is correct then I think I may replace a quart of oil with a quart of Lucas Synthetic oil stabilizer which should help eliminate dry starts, or maybe even use a bottle of STP. There is some cost involved but I don't want it to fly apart after the warranty expires which will be 100K miles or 5 yr from when I bought the warranty. I may talk with the dealer about this.

·
The random one
2010 Corolla CE
523 Posts
I heard mine today knocking at low RPM, i was in 2nd(manual) gear around 1.3k and floored it. The VVT-I must have adjusted the timing for fuel economy... Engine was warm and I have not been able to replicate again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts